585,992 active members*
5,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Text Engraving

I looked through the forums but I still cannot figure this out...

I am trying to make some desk name plaques. They are made of aluminum and each one will have a name engraved into them. I have my area set up where I want the letters to go and I even have the letters typed in, but I cannot get them recognized by DolphinCad as a Contour (I think that is what I want). I clicked on text gallery and picked a "Stroke Font", but I cannot do anything with it. When I go to the CAM all that is brought up is my original rectangular drawing with nothing on it.

What am I doing wrong? I have Level 2 if that makes any difference.

Mike

I do not have any expierience with level 2 as I have level 3 but it appears that it may be the problem.

I think so too. I went through the help files and under Machining, there is supposed to be an Engraving sub-folder. I don't have that.

Guess I'll either upgrade to level 3 (which I want anyway) or take a look at the feature in Mach3 that is supposed to be built in.

Thanks

Mike

I find that I have to trace the font with the line tools and then create the contours for machining. This seems like a bother but the results are good and you do get good at it after awhile.

Mike,
    Can you post a .dra file to have a look at.
    I also have level 3 but there maybe a way.

John s.

Sent this over earlier to the user but figured it would be helpful to post it here as well...

Option 1 :-

Within the CAD module select

'TEXT \ Precision Text'

This provides a number of options, one of

which is the generation of Contours for passing

to the CAM module. When in CAM use Goround facility to machine contours.

Option 2 :-

Within the CAM module select ‘Engrave’ option,

this enables Stroke Type and Contour type fonts.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

engraving

Ok here is a file I whipped up to show some options. If you want to engrave a single line and the stick fonts are to uninteresting trace the centre line with the curve tool, you have to go to view/preferences click the curves tab and select store curve data. This is so you can edit the curve if it needs tweaking. Also you will need to go to view and select show near points, this will give you points to edit, dont use any snap functions or they will cause you to lose you mind. And always use a new layer so you can hide the existing font, it also makes it easy to delete unwanted lines. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails !cid_A3.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Squatch,
    That looks pretty cool. Mine won't be anywhere near that elaborate. I was just going to use some type of block lettering and mill the letters into the aluminum. I'll have to play around with it a little this week and see if I can figure everything out that you wrote.

I upgraded to Level 3 this week, so now I have the full package. Good golly, I love this program.
    WooHoo!

Mike

This program is limited but for the price I can do with out the bells and whistles. You just have to learn how to be creative with what it has.