585,702 active members*
4,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LeBlond Lathe Opinion Wanted

Hi. Looking at some lathes to supplement my home brew CNC Bridgeport conversion, 7x12 mini lathe, and Mill / Drill.

Top candidate is a LeBlond Regal 15 x 30 lathe. Servo shift. This will be my first lathe in this size. Looked at it yesterday. Sounds good. Runs well. Ways are clean and not awfully worn, still some flaking visible. So probably .02 - .003 wear. Seem pretty even worn too. I was expecting more wear near the head stock.

One concern. I noticed the back end of the through hole is visibly wobbly. Probabaly .10 - .15 worth of runout. The end of the spindle with the chuck looks fine. I'm going back Monday to measure the spindle runout on the chuck and ask about this wobble.

I don't know if this is an issue. I know on my 7 x 12 the back side of the through hole is not true. So, I'm wondering if this is just a manufacturing convention and I shouldn't worry about it or what?

I plan on asking them to put the collet change assembly in so I can see it work with that installed. If that's OK, I'm good to go I guess.

My worry is that somehow it got bent and that there could be other hidden damage. But there are no signs of any physical damage. Anything to bend a shaft that diameter would seem to have left other damage.

It's a nice size machine for what I want and has enough features so I can put it to work whilst I CNC it.

Any opinions would be useful.

Future plans are to add CNC functionality to it, but to keep the existing features in tact. Probably with an add on scew for the carriage, possibly a replacement of the existing. Getting to CNC threading is a whole 'nother deal, yes.

Thanks,
    John
    John Delaney
    www.rwicooking.com

We had LeBlonds in the toolroom where I worked. Nice machines. It almost sounds like the read bearing has gone to heck and is allowng the end to float. I'd try putting a bar on the end and pulling it this way and that to see if the shaft moves.

I used to make parts on one of those, same model. I just wish I knew before I started playing with it that you're supposed to select the speed you want while it's running, stop it, then let it shift itself. Knowing this would have saved some wear & tear on the mechanicals, and a lot of head scratching.

From your description, it does merit a close look for rear spindle bearing or other mechanical failure. If OK, it's a really nice lathe for general-purpose work.

Thanks very much. Glad to hear it's a good machine if OK and I will check into it more and give it a shake to see if it's loose or ....

Best,
    John
    John Delaney
    www.rwicooking.com

Quick follow up.

The run out turned out to be .0002. Two ten thousandths.

The problem I observed had to do with the bit sticking out for the collet changer. Not sure at all what it's called. Apparently it was not tightenned down correctly. They will straighten it out before I get it.

Gave the spindle a good shake, feels tight.

It gets delivered tomorrow. A new chapter begins.

Thanks for the advice.

Best,
    John
    John Delaney
    www.rwicooking.com

These are very nice machines, and if I am thinking right the ways are removable and can be reground to bring them back into as new tolerances. I would not go removing them if so, check into it before hand but if she gets to a point of needing attention I do think its possible. Just not sure how you need to go about it. I do know there was one forum member that did this to his lathe.

This machine is on my wish list, a small Southbend first then one of these & I would be a happy man ( well until I redid the wish list,lol).

Keep us updated when you receive it. Some vids of it in action would really be sweet.

IMHO a good lathe should be everyones first machine.

Jess