585,748 active members*
3,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Help with Parker Compumotor CA090-00602B Servo Drive

Exclamation Help with Parker Compumotor CA090-00602B Servo Drive

Hello everybody!!

I'm building a gear hobbing CNC machine for a school proyect :rainfro:

And the only thing that is missing is the "spindle", the one that is going to spin the hob and make the continous cutting process, jaja

So we all know that it is critical to control the speed of this axis, and I want to get it perfectly controled by a servomotor, and I already buy one

specs are:
    BRAND: MCG (Motion Control Group)
    T CONT :55 OZ-IN SPEED: 5000 RPM
    VRATED: 60VDC I CONT: 5.24 AMPS

So, the thing is that I have the servo amplifier too, I get it in a market here nearby, and is a:

BRAND: PARKER
    DC BRUSHLESS SERVO AMPLIFIER
    and it says in the ticket that it has in one side:
    COMPUMOTOR CA090-00602B

I check it out and it doesn't have anithing wrong (burns, scratches, exploded capacitors, or something), so I think that is in working condition

well, the thing is that...

I CAN'T FIND THE SPECS FOR THE SERVO AMPLIFIER!!

jaja..

anyone can help me? because it has a lot of conections

or maybe you will say to me "that servo amplifier will not run your servo"

and I'll be very happy too

have some potentiometers for gains, a dip switch, a jack for signal, a jack for halls & feedback, and a jack for the outs for the motor conection there are as follows

POTS
    REF GAIN
    TACH GAIN
    LOOP GAIN
    INTEG FREQ
    BALANCE

DIP SWITCH
    VELO/TORQ
    ENAB LO/HI

SIGNAL
    +15V 5MA
    REF+
    REF-
    TACH
    GND
    CURRMON
    CURR REF
    /BRAKE
    ENABLE
    POS ENAB
    NEG ENAB
    + FAULT
    /RESET
    AUX

HALLS & FDBK
    GND
    +15V
    +5V 250 MA
    HALL W
    HALL V
    HALL U
    GND
    OPTION-A
    OPTION-B
    OPTION-C

POWER MOTOR
    W
    V
    U
    GND
    GND
    +HV

Most of the connections I suppose what are for, but I don't want to burn the motor or melt the power source

so if one of you have the specs for it I'll be very very very very HAPPY

thanks!! and let the science GROW
    (I place an attachment with a picture of the servo amplifier, the link is below)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ee69_1.JPG  

Need to know more about the motor. If it has only 2 wires and has brushes then you will not be able to use the brushless drive with it. If on the other hand the motor has 3 or 4 heavy wires and 5 smaller wires and no brushes, then maybe...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by vger View Post
    Need to know more about the motor. If it has only 2 wires and has brushes then you will not be able to use the brushless drive with it.
    It may be possible as most BLDC drives can run DC brushed if it can be configured for 60deg commutation, just U & V of the phase connections are used.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

ok ok, I did'nt know that it can be conected to a DC motor :O! only usin U an V signals!? very interesting

but well, the motor has 3 wires that are pretty heavy and it comes from the motor stator, if I put two of them together the motor tends to stop, so I'm pretty sure that is a servo motor (three phase motor)

it have several more wires (more thin) that goes to a electronic devices, they are oriented every 120º, (i gess), on the back of the motor, they are like "transistor type" I imagine that ones are the hall sensors, for detecting the position of the rotor, right?

and emm, the motor has an encoder coupled to the shaft, it makes 500 ppr, and for that one will be no problem, I know how to make it run

sorry if I omit that info :P

but the problem is to know where it goes everyting of this signals connected in the servo amplificator :O!!! jaja

thanks to everyone and happy new year !

They must be older motors that have discrete Hall effect devices, now they are mostly a track on the encoder disk, If you have three stator leads and H.E. sensors then it is most likely a BLDC rather than AC sinusoidal.
    Your motor specs are fairly conservative so there is a good chance the amp will run the motor.
    The hook-up is labeled and should be no problem to hook up, it does not appear to be an "intelligent" drive so there should be not adjustment apart from the Pots maybe.
    You mention that you want to use it for a spindle, it is not really necessary on most CNC systems to servo the spindle, just have some form of fairly precise speed control.
    The Z or X axis is usually geared or slaved to the spindle encoder.
    Al.

Albert E.

ooooh ok!,

the thing is that I have a PC control card, that give an output signal of pulse per second, and have a pulse counter, it is most used for stepper motors, in fact, I use it to move all other axes of the machine, it has 4 axis control, and I was trying to control that servo via the "jog" out, that creates a constant train of pulses in the speed that I want, and I just want to know iif the servo amplifier could handle the "output" I have

so the thing is I must control the spindle speed the closest it can be to the value that I place, because the hob speed us critical for the hoobing process, because another speed axis depends of this value

or maybe there is another way to archieve a good or maybe "perfect" speed control, having a cool output torque and compatible with a pulse train?

I try it with a stepper motor, it was a STEP-SYN, 3.1 A, 2.6V, has a 1.8 deg/step, but I think it hasn't the enough torque output to make a cut with a hob

I have been testing it whit a 1/2" drilling bit, directly to the shaft, the best speed is around 300 RPM, and it can perforate wood, but in some times it gets stuck and the motor stops,

It will be diferent with that brushless motor that I have?

and colud you please explain me some of the connections for the amplifier? what are each one for?

I just want to make the test, or discard it and look for another motor that I may control, and finish the machine,

any option? or advice?:rainfro: ?

thanks!

There needs to be more information on the type of controller you have, this drive is intended for +- 10vdc analogue, not step/direction.
    Also do you have PID tuning capability in the controller?
    Al.

Albert E.

Exclamation

Hello there

ok, then, I think is better to talk about the amplifier, but some data of the controler card my be important:

Vout= 5 VDC
    Maximum Frequency = 500,000 Hz (steps per second)

With that, I can create an train of pulses, that create mostly an analog VDC output, (PWM theory), and I really hope that output be compatible with some input of the amplifier

and I have a question, the "TACH" pin is an input?

maybe the train of pulses could go there, in that "input", but I need to know if you think that is an "input", or maybe not? In most BLDC motor amplifiers is an input?

the HV signal, should be a rectified DC power supply? I think? or maybe an AC ? I really don't find nothing like an rectifier bridge inside, even if it was in an integrated circuit or something...

well, I think I'll be running an experimental test this week,:rainfro: because I find some others amplifiers and the pin labels are mostly common, but some connections I don't find what they do, or if they are really important for the work

maybe someone have a manual of an amplifier like this one? or maybe with the same characteristics? maybe it would help a lot

especially in the "BRAKE" or the "VELO/TORQ" or something?

I really thank you for the help!