585,969 active members*
4,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Repair or replacement of SEM servo motor

I bought a series 1,R2C3, H 145 off Ebay in "working" condition. After I got it home and fought it for a week I figured out one of the magnets in the X axis servo motor was broken into a few pieces. The motor type is 30H4-44. I did some looking and did not see any used motors. Is this a rare part? What are my options? I plan on calling the seller in the morning and see if he's willing to help or if he has suddenly left town. When I picked it up he promised me a refund if something was wrong with the machine. I'm just a garage machinist so loading it back on my trailer bring it back to him is not a trivial task.

I'd appreciate some suggestions if you have any, for now I think I'll take the dog for a walk.
    Thanks,Brad

re

I looked into having one repaired for the same machine a few years back and it was in the vicinity of 700 bucks. I waited a bit and found one on ebay for a few hundred.

Keep an eye out

Thanks Gus, I guess that's what I'll do.

In the mean time I wonder how well it would work if I removed the broken pieces one the magnet. It might be good enough for the Z axis. Will see.
    Brad

I was able to reassemble the servo motor with part of the one magnet missing. It seems to work fine but I would not be surprised that sometime in the future it comes back to bite me. In the mean time maybe a good used one will turn up. I took a closer look at the outside of the motor and right at the spot were the magnet was broken I could marks presumably from a hammer. I believe the hammer method worked well on the starter in the old Buick, on the Bridgeport not so much. Turns out the same "hammer method" was used on the Z servo motor as well. I took that one apart and found one complete magnet had come loose. I reglued it with some JB weld. Thankfully the Y motor was spared any beatings.

I spoke to the seller and he refunded some of my money, or at lest the check is in the mail.

Brad

Clarkson is the USA sercie agent for the SEM motors. He does not do schlock work. Maybe he has some used, take out stuff that he can put you in touch with. They are loaated in IN diciana or Illinois.

Although Clarkson is NOT cheap, what is your time worth to try to find an out of prodution legacy device such as an old servo motor???

Clarlkson will do a quote on the price to repair. Lacking that, good luck with Ebay