584,866 active members*
4,936 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Rebuild A Laser Printer?

Does anyone know of any companys on the East Coast that will reburbish my HP5000 LaserJet (8.5 x 11-letter, 11 x 17-tabloid)? The print quality is fine, but the paper-pick up mechanics are worn out. The machine just keeps on jamming up. Would it be less expensive to purchase a re-mfg unit?

HP Authorized Repair Center Technician

Where on the "East Coast" are you located? I'm an HP Authorized Repair Technician currently working for an Authorized HP Printer/Plotter repair company located in North Carolina (coincidence, or something else?). I'm authorized to repair almost everything HP allows us to repair from the original HP LaserJet to the expensive Color LaserJets along with most DeskJets and DesignJets. Parts for some of the machines have been discontinued and are getting scarce, though.

I also have a basement full of HP LaserJet II, III, IID, IIID, IIISi & other miscellaneous printers (approx. 80 in all) that are in various states of repair/disrepair. My wife would love :argue: for me to get rid of some of them (hint, hint, nudge, nudge). Besides I need room to build and run my CNC router table (currently under construction).

Quote Originally Posted by wocowski
    Does anyone know of any companys on the East Coast that will reburbish my HP5000 LaserJet (8.5 x 11-letter, 11 x 17-tabloid)? The print quality is fine, but the paper-pick up mechanics are worn out. The machine just keeps on jamming up. Would it be less expensive to purchase a re-mfg unit?
    Did you try cleaning the rollers with some isopropyl alcohol? It did wonders for my LaserJet 4000N.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

I used a product called rubber renue from MG chemicals, worked great, printer was working like it was new.
    Have a good one.
    Dave

Cleaning is not going to fix this one. This machine probably has more hours on it than all our CNC's put together!

Try to se if you can find the part here.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/default.asp

Re: Rebuild A Laser Printer?

If you are interested to know how to rebuild a laser printer then I have written a guide on this topic. This is a guide to tell you how to rebuild a laser printer if your own machine fails or if the original cost of your machine is not affordable. I suggest you thermal printers to learn some new tips about printers. Rebuilding a laser printer is not something that you would do on a regular basis. It is more common to buy one, use it for a few years and then toss it when it gets too old to be useful.