584,837 active members*
5,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

wiring high frequency spindle

I just purchased a Chinese High Frequency water-cooled spindle, 8A, 220 400 HZ, 24,000 rpm, this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/a-water-cooled-s...1%7C240%3A1318
    I didn't get his inverter. I got this one: http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...00-015NFU.html.
    The spindle looks great. My questions are: 1, What cable to use from drive to spindle?(shielded or not, wire size), If shieded is needed, Where do I find such cable? 2,Need it be grounded? If so, how?
    Sorry for my ignorance (is being a woodworker a sufficient excuse?) and thanks for any help! Al Ladd

Smile

Shane,

This is the correct cable for your application:

It should be shielded, a shield clamp is provided with most VFD's

The big issue will be the cable diameter you can fit in the connector provided with the spindle.

You might need to strip the outer jacket off where the wire passes into the spindle wire connector.

Using a smaller gauge wire will work if you keep the spindle cable length as short as possible.

Overheating the wire most likely wont be the issue, you can measure the voltage drop.

Jeff...
    Attached Files Attached Files

grounding the spindle

Is it necessary to ground the spindle itself? (I'll be running the 2.2 KW , 400 HZ, 8 amp 220V spindle from Chinese Ebay vendor, running this with a Hitachi SJ200-015NFU VFD with single phase 220 input.) If so, where on the spindle do I attach the ground wire to? Should this ground wire (if required) be one of the conducters in the shielded cable, or a seperate bare or insulated wire? Thanks! Al Ladd www.alladd.com

You should carry a ground conductor from system ground plate to VFD GND terminal and then on to the Motor frame using a separate ground conductor, or the ground conductor included in cables as shown in the Olflex link.
    The shield should only be connected at one point only, not both ends.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.