Barch Designs
    877-201-9771

1. You lost the parameters
    2. Please change FA (alarm) to FLB on inverter, wrong pin connection
    Try to reinput parameters

Hi ben,
    you need to set inverter's parameter
    Eg. Input command, max. Freq, etc

Moved the wire to FLB, re-input the parameters in the Mazatrol. Now should I already know what these settings are supposed to be in the Toshiba? Where do I find the information on what to set the Toshiba parameters to?

I am really close to getting this thing running. I turn it on, no alarms now. I zero the machine, everything so far seems OK.

I have tried setting the Toshiba parameters to what I think they should be. I've tried a lot of different combinations, but really am not sure how to make it work properly. So far the best I have done is when I hit Run on the Toshiba, it spins the drive up to 1195 RPM (As seen on the Mazatrol screen) for about a minute before the Toshiba drive gives me a "OL1" alarm and spins the Motor down. I haven't gotten the Toshiba to be controlled from the Mazatrol yet, and I think it has to do with setting the parameters of the Toshiba so it is controlled from the VIA pin. When I try to get it to be controlled from the Mazatrol and press Spindle Start on the Mazatrol, the screen says Alarm 130 "Spindle Motor Rotate Inhibit"

Seems like it is just some settings in the Toshiba that need to be adjusted, but man I am really close. It was a wonderful site to see the spindle turning today, even if it was only for a minute!

Thanks in advance for your help, couldn't have gotten this far without you. Do you know what the Toshiba Parameters are supposed to be?

**EDIT I just got off the phone with a Toshiba rep and we have it working from the Toshiba panel. Now all I need to know is how to set it to be controlled from the machine on the VIA pin and whether that is controlled through voltage or amperage.

Lastly, where is the braking resistor on the old drive? Is it easy to remove to install it on the Toshiba?

Benjamin Barch
    Barch Designs
    877-201-9771

Well, I am 1 pin away from getting this thing to work. Here is what I found out.

The Toshiba drive appears to be working just as it should. My problem is I am not getting a voltage signal for VIA (Spindle speed 0-10V). The Mazak isn't outputting the voltage on that pin for some reason. I may have a pin wrong in the Honda connector, but it should be pin 31 (SE1) Or do I have that wrong?

When I am in Jog mode and hit spindle jog, i get a forward voltage signal (F) measured at the Toshiba drive, but no speed voltage on VIA. Also when I run a program, the machine starts executing the program and then waits while the spindle comes up to speed (but it never turns the spindle). If I use a 9V battery to connect to the VIA/CC pins, the spindle starts turning so I know the toshiba Drive is set correctly (I even set the max freq and other settings with the Toshiba customer service to how they need to be for this spindle). I just can't figure out why there is never any voltage between SE1 and SE2 (VIA and CC respectively). There is no voltage across the pins unhooked from the drive too. Do I have them wrong in the Honda connector.

Also the Forward and Reverse are working correctly when in Jog. Spindle Jog Forward sends a Forward signal, and Spindle Jog Reverse is sending a Reverse signal. But why no voltage at VIA??? (Actually voltage IS measured at 0.01V which never changes)

Thanks in advance,
    Benjamin Barch
    Barch Designs
    877-201-9771

operation parameter :
    CNOd :0
    FNOd :1
    ACC : 0.4 (if you get alarm on start, please increase value)
    DEC : 0.6 (if you get alarm on stop, please increase value)
    FH :120
    UL : set to max rpm that you need ( 80-FH)
    PT : 0
    F304 : 1 (DC Braking)

I set the Toshiba Drive to those parameters, but I am still not getting the spindle to turn. Please have a look at the picture I have attached showing where I connected each pin to.

CON1 Pins --> Toshiba S11 Pins
    30 (SES) --> MOTOR OUTPUT GND
    31 (SE1) --> VIA
    32 (SE2) --> CC on Left Terminal Block
    45 (SRN) --> F Forward
    46 (SRI) --> R Reverse
    11 (FA) --> FLB
    12 (FC) --> FLC
    19 (ARST1) --> RES

These two are connected together in the same CC terminal
    20 (ARST2) --> CC on Right Terminal Block
    14 (OS) --> CC on Right Terminal Block

These two wires are connected together and not attached to the Toshiba
    3 (ZS1) --> x
    4 (ZS2) --> x

I am almost embarrassed to ask this question, but is there a way to turn the spindle on without running a program? I am not familiar with the Mazak conversational programming and it may just be a problem with my programming.

As I measure voltages at the Toshiba connections, the JOG button will send a Forward or Reverse voltage, but no VIA voltage.

When I run a AUTO program the turret moves to the first programmed spot and then the BUSY light stays on, but the spindle doesn't turn. At this point I don't measure any Forward, Reverse, or VIA voltages....almost like the machine isn't wanting to turn the spindle.

Any Ideas?

Benjamin Barch
    Barch Designs
    877-201-9771

It seems to me that no matter what I do I can not get the Mazak to give a voltage output between pins 31 & 32. It always stays at 0.01VDC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mazak_toshiba.jpg  

Is this lathe just Mazatrol or can it use G-code too? If it also uses G-code, try going to MDI, typing in either M3 or M4 along with an S500(or your rpm of choice), and press cycle start. This should eliminate a programming error.

Can you contact me on blackberry messenger or yahoo messenger?

It's just Mazatrol. No MDI to be found unfortunately. That would be nice since I am familiar with G/M code, but not Mazatrol conversational programming. It does have the ability to insert a G command within the Mazatrol conversational program, but I really feel like something is connected wrong because I cant even get the spindle to JOG when it is all connected as shown. The only time I have gotten it to JOG is when I tell the Toshiba to use the internal potentiometer for speed instead of the external VIA terminal pin.

So close yet still unable to make any chips

Quote Originally Posted by nastek View Post
    Can you contact me on blackberry messenger or yahoo messenger?
    Nastek, I just created a yahoo messenger account. It appears as if I am online now.

Thanks Nastek for getting closer to the problem. I know it is late where you live, hope to hear back from you tomorrow. In the meantime if someone else happens to know if any parameters look wrong, I have attached a snap shot of page 2.

We found out that for some reason my Mazak QT10 Chucker is stuck on Gear 0. All attempts so far to change it to Gear 1 or Gear 2, either by manual input on the screen G-SHIFT, or by telling a program to use gear 2, the machine is stuck in Gear 0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parameters2.jpg  

OK, still not quite up and running after replacing the FR-SX spindle drive with the Toshiba, although I just discovered something interesting. After I power the machine on and zero return, I can rapid around by hand without a problem. However, if I GSHIFT 1 or 2 from the screen and then move the axis in rapid, the machine prompts another "ZERO RETURN?" and the spindle stays at gear 0. Any ideas?

Benjamin Barch
    Barch Designs
    877-201-9771

Left Field

I may be way off base here but I think I recall something about a spindle zero speed output from the SX controller to the T1 controller before it will even try to shift.

That makes sense. I know the ZS1 and ZS2 wires have to be connected together before the chuck will open or close. They have been connected together so far throughout testing. I am wondering if it is a wiring connection problem and I don't have something connected correctly. Is there another wire that has to be connected? What were the other two Honda connectors for. Maybe something in those? I'll have to take a look at my diagrams.

Benjamin Barch
    Barch Designs
    877-201-9771

No Luck so far

We haven't been able to get the machine to shift into Gear 1 or Gear 2 after many hours of troubleshooting. I am sending in the old drive to a local repair company to quote me a repair cost and also have them possibly come out to see if they can get it up and running. Hopefully it won't get too expensive.

Benjamin Barch
    877-201-9771

can we talk on YM?

please connect VRO to 24V, and make sure VRO Rellay is on ( find it on controller door cabinet ), or give a jumper VR-IG on Rellay terminal.

Hi, I will try this (tomorrow) Tuesday when I get back to the shop. I will leave YM on all day and let you know my results if you are there.

Page 4 of 5 2345