584,829 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Replacing a freqrol FRSX-2-11-K

The drive is from a older QT10 we have here with a T1 control. Is it possible to replace with another 10hp spindle drive or do we have to get this one fixed. Are these propietary? What are our options
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

you can use 11kw VFD/Inverter with vector control, it's similar.
    i have replaced in my machine, and working fine. i use Toshiba inverter.

Do you have a internet link? How much USD did you have into the inverter swap? I am trying to save this old heap before I throw it away
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

you can find www.meau.com
    i change the spindle drive with toshiba inverter, just less than $900 , and i get 1 year warranty. and working fine about 3 years and nothing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nastek View Post
    you can find www.meau.com
    i change the spindle drive with toshiba inverter, just less than $900 , and i get 1 year warranty. and working fine about 3 years and nothing problem.

What model did you end up using? I may give them a call. Did you have the same Universal 10 Mazak that we have with the T1 controller? Was there much of a wiring difference? And lastly could you post a picture?

I use Toshiba VF-S11 11kw, but if your motor is 5.5Kw, you should use 7.5Kw.
    Toshiba have same pin description with FRSX, and only 1 wire that connected directly with common ( Zero Speed Cable ).
    You can choose the brand of inverter, depend your budget, all inverter connection are almost same.
    don't forget, spindle encoder is not connected with the inverter and you can save it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00043.jpg  

Wow what a great help! It turns out the local Toshiba rep is only 2 miles from our shop and is stopping by on monday!! I thought maybe the encoder may have had an issue as well because we had to splice the wires together after the cable rubbed on the belts. wow we are actually going to get this old beast running and running well! Thank you so much for the help and picture!

What is the black box you have on the inside side of the cabinet? Are you currently DNC'ing to your Mazak?

it's just cooling fan, Mazak cannot connect with ordinary DNC, i make program by hand.
    it's simple, no need dnc.

Ok so the local Toshiba rep came and he said he will install 15hp unit and it will need to be wired. I dont have any wiring schematics. Do you have a pin out for the cables? And how many of the 3 plugs did you use on the unit? The Toshiba rep said they do not have plugs like the Mazak has.

Thank you so much for the help!

i have no detailed manual, you can download it.
    i attached picture of VF-S11 Connection with Caption.
    Red text are pins on FRSX.
    no use encoder, keep it.
    for RPM setting, you can use manual spindle rotation on 100% Scale.
    and please remember the original FRSX's RPM. just like that.
    You should use Braking resistor for deceleration.
    use parameter F201 if your rotation can not reach the maximum RPM.
    i think the Toshiba's engineer know it.
    same like me, Toshiba's engineer installed mine.
    hope this help.
    sorry for my english.

www.focuselectric-edm.com
    tarom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails toshiba.jpg  

Additional connection : FRSX (ARST1+ARST2) Connect to Toshiba (CC+RES) for reset the alarm.

FRSX Manual : http://www.meau.com/Files/BCN-21735-S5.PDF

Can you still cut threads with it even though it doesnt use the encoder anymore?

yes, it works fine, because encoder just for calculate torque of spindle drive.
    thread works from indexing resolver/RPM encoder on spindle head.
    if you still read rpm value on monitor, it's mean your machine is working properly.

You have been so helpfull! Thank you very much and please dont go anywhere anytime soon. I will be doing this very modification and after we are up and running I may have some parameter questions for you.

Thanks!!

Did you get yours up and running? I have a 15KW FR-SX I want to retro.
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

i did it many times, i use inverter such, Toshiba, Hitachi, LG/LS, Freqrol, depending the customer's budget.
    but the best inverter that i use is Freqrol, but if you have medium budget, use Toshiba, that's very good inverter.
    Ps. if you have motor 5.5Kw/170V please use at least 7.5Kw inverter (Vector Type), 11 kw is more better.
    because you can setting on minimum value for Acc/Dec. so you can rotate the spindle CW to CCW faster, and you have quick spindle Braking.

I have a FR-SX-2-15kw in a Mazak Quick Slant 20 4 axis lathe. I have repaired it many times and now it is down again so I am looking for other options. What drive would you use in my situation? I do not need spindle indexing. Thanks for the help!
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

Mitsubishi spindle retro's are good but pretty expensive, The Freqrol range is also good, but if you need the rapid braking you may have to fit the external braking unit.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

MEAU wants $2400.00 to repair current antiquated drive. Do you think a retro would cost much more? Are there any downsides to a retro?
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

Page 1 of 5 123