584,861 active members*
4,929 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

adept mk11 cim centre

Hi everyone,
    new to the forum and cnc in general, just acquired an adept mk11 cim centre. -www.appliedresolution.com.au. It looks as though it is complete and comes with the interface cable and original software. My question though is does anyone have any experience with this machine and does it interface to the parallel port of a PC or does it need an add on card, as if it does none was supplied?
    The software that comes with the machine is very basic and windows orientated and I was wondering if anybody is using the EMC2 project to drive it?

I'm not after hand-holding but it would be nice to chat with people who have gone down this route and hear of their experiences with this little beastie.

Cheers,
    Rob

hi there.
    My old school had one of these, sat in the corner doing nothing for many years...
    I have a friend who works there now, so i thought i would go in and try to use it.

from what i can see, it doesn't use a standard parallel port, it has an addon card with more pins than the standard parallel port. i didn't look too closely.
    when I booted the controlling computer (running windows 9x) it had milling software which allowed me to control the mill functions (via the keyboard) but I couldn't get the lathe to spin.
    thanks for pointing out that site, they have some demo software which might help me. http://www.appliedresolution.com.au/...ntre/index.htm

I was thinking about using EMC to control it. but i doubt it is supported (being a rare Australian machine with a specialized interface card)

-jarrod

Hi Jarrod,
    thanks for the reply. i must admit when i acquired this machine, it was just a case of loading it into the trailer and taking it away. My initial confusion was due to the fact that the interface cable and card were missing. I have managed to find the interface cable but the controller card that goes into a PC has long since dissapeared.
    So now that is my dilemma, I have this machine but no way to interface it at this stage.
    My next course of action is to contact the original dealers and try and track down a card so heres hoping

Rob.

Well just an update, i have received a reply from the original manufacturer of this lathe and he no longer carries spare cards.
    He does state though that he may build me one as he still has parts etc. The downside is the cost - approx 3000AUD.

So now i guess its time to research controller cards and alternative paths.:rainfro:

$3000 for a card. what a joke.
    Thats a real shame.. I think the school has a spare card, not sure if it is faulty or what. I will see what I can do. its such a waste of a machine. how much did you pay for it by the way?

I paid 100 bucks for the Mill.

I have been researching the alternatives and its not looking too bad.
    From what i can see i only need to buy some gecko drives for the dc servos and a breakout board to interface to the parallel port. Software wise i was planning on running EMC2 anyway.

But that was the long term goal , initially i was just looking to get an understanding of the Mill before i go and gut the thing and rip out the existing electrics. So its no great loss missing the controller card but it would be a bonus if you managed to track one down

WOW $100? I want one!
    hehe i was expecting another zero at least
    you will pay more for the drivers than you did for the lathe. and with no guarantee that it will work

ADEPT CIM MILL/LATHE PLUG IN SOLUTION

Hi Everyone

We have come up with a solution for replacing the electronics on the ADEPT CIM Mill/Lathe. Its a Plug In Solution whereby you take out the old controller/drives, etc and replace it with our box. It comes with a USB Controller using the CNC Teknix TEK10 servo drives. CNC Teknix has also developed an Operator Control Panel that fits to the top of the machine to allow manual control.

It will be easy take out the old box and put in the new box. The sockets to connect all the cables will be easier as they will be all marked so you know where to plug in the cables.

PLUG IN SOLUTION

Retrofit Kit “Plug In Solution” Adept CNC Lathe fully adapted with or without milling head attachment

Plug in replacement for original controller

BENEFITS

• Runs with Mach 3 software
    • Axes speeds up to 5m/minute
    • Electrical Resolution 0.8 microns
    • Spindle Speed Controller
    • CNC MultiTEK 3 Axis USB Controller can be controlled by any computer with a USB port
    • No Plug in Cards required

• Operator Control Panel (OPTIONAL) - Automatic and Manual control, switching between Mill and Lathe, MPG jog on all axes with speed selection, cycle start, feed hold, single block, etc

Anyone interested in more details or information on the ADEPT CIM MILL/LATHE solution contact us at CNC Teknix Pty Ltd.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by yaycnc View Post
    hi there.
    My old school had one of these, sat in the corner doing nothing for many years...
    I have a friend who works there now, so i thought i would go in and try to use it.

from what i can see, it doesn't use a standard parallel port, it has an addon card with more pins than the standard parallel port. i didn't look too closely.
    when I booted the controlling computer (running windows 9x) it had milling software which allowed me to control the mill functions (via the keyboard) but I couldn't get the lathe to spin.
    thanks for pointing out that site, they have some demo software which might help me. http://www.appliedresolution.com.au/...ntre/index.htm

I was thinking about using EMC to control it. but i doubt it is supported (being a rare Australian machine with a specialized interface card)

-jarrod

Hey guys,

I have been a long time reader of this forum and find myself with one of these machines..

I just wondering if anyone could help me with the items needed to convert this mill/lathe from analogue to a machine that can run Mach 3 etc..

There is a turn key solution from the poster above.But this is about $8000 with the control panel..

I thought there might be a way of installing the components myself but was unsure of what is actually needed.
    Any help would be apreciated.

Kev

Talking

Hi Kevin

A correction with the price for the Adept Retrofit Kit, it can be purchased from CNC Teknix (www.cncteknix.com) for $5800 + GST, not $8000, unless you wish to purchase the Extra Option of a Control Panel for $1500 + GST. The front panel is still usable as we have configured it to work with the Adept Kit. The Control Panel is only if you want some more functions and features not available in the front panel, like an MPG wheel.

It took us 2 months to custom design the PCB's to create an OEM solution for the Adept Mills and Lathes. We tried supplying parts only and let the customer put it all together but the amount of time it took in explaining how to do it and the expense involved is more than the cost of the Kit, so now we only sell the kit. CNC Teknix is selling the Adept Kit to schools in Australia who either had the machines sitting around gathering dust or wanted a machine that was up to date and easier to use. Being able to connect up to a new computer with a USB port and use Windows XP/Vista and the MACH3 machine control software is making a world of difference for the teachers and the students.

So anyone out there looking for a controller for an Adept CIM Lathe/Mill and doesn't have the time or patience, we have the solution for $5800 + GST.

More details go to the CNC Teknix website www.cncteknix.com or
    email: [email protected]

I hope this helps you Kevin but if you want to discuss more please get in contact via email: [email protected] or phone (02) 4257 4111.

Regards
    Andrew
    CNC TEKNIX PTY LTD

Quote Originally Posted by kevinl2375 View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been a long time reader of this forum and find myself with one of these machines..

I just wondering if anyone could help me with the items needed to convert this mill/lathe from analogue to a machine that can run Mach 3 etc..

There is a turn key solution from the poster above.But this is about $8000 with the control panel..

I thought there might be a way of installing the components myself but was unsure of what is actually needed.
    Any help would be apreciated.

Kev

Hi Guys
    I am looking for a Adept Cim Center Mother board (or any other electronics), i have the rest. It looks like the main board has gone faulty and i think the axis cards / spindle cards are ok. does anyone have any old hardware from upgrades i could buy etc...

let me know if you guys still have anything.

Regards

Alex

ADEPT CIM

Hi Alex

We don't have any of the old boards as by the the time the machines are sent to us the boards are no longer working. However, we do supply a kit to replace the old electronics.

PLUG IN SOLUTION

It will be easy take out the old box and put in the new box. The sockets to connect all the cables will be easier as they will be all marked so you know where to plug in the cables.

BENEFITS

* Runs with Mach 3 software
    * Axes speeds up to 5m/minute
    * Electrical Resolution 0.8 microns
    * Spindle Speed Controller
    * CNC MultiTEK 3 Axis USB Controller can be controlled by any computer with a USB port
    * No Plug in Cards required

However, if you are looking for a permanent and long term solution then we have it for $5800 + GST & Freight.

More details go to the CNC Teknix website www.cncteknix.com or
    email: [email protected]

A source for Adept CIM support

Hi Guys

I have recently bought an Adept CIM system from the Adept CIM Centre in Qld, run by Tim Bliesner. He has given me excellent support in handling some unfortunate bugs in the upgraded USB interface.

Along the way he mentioned that he has a good stock of the original plug-in PC boards and the necessary bits to maintain them, and will be happy to assist.

Cheers

Re: adept mk11 cim centre

Wow time flies when your having fun.
    I ended up sourcing a card for this machine from Tim Bliesner and have been using it now for years, still with a 486 running Win95...
    Anyhow i wanted to use this machine with Fusion 360 and seeing as there was no post -processor for it, i knocked one up.
    This will create gcode to run directly in the adept software, all you need to do is set your G50 positions at the top of the file.

File is here:
    https://github.com/paulsboutique/Ade...sor-Fusion-360

My machine did have the CNCTeknix box when I bought it, but that company has either vanished, folded, or gone elsewhere. And some of the servos died.

In the end, I ripped EVERYTHING out bar the power transformer and rebuilt the entire kit with an ESS, Geckos and a number of custom PCBs for interfacing and optical isolation. I am using it on an almost daily basis for plastic, aluminium, steel and titanium. Those DC servo motors are RUGGED.

Cheers
    Roger

do you have any details on brands etc or wiring. as this is exactly what i need to do

As I said above, I used Mach3 on W7, an ESS and Gecko DC servo drivers with the encoders which were already on the motors. The interfacing was all custom design and custom PCBs I made, with lots of optical isolation.

The first question is how much electronics engineering can you do? You will need to be very familiar with digital electronics up to tens of Mz. A 100 MHz CRO is pretty much essential.

Cheers
    Roger