585,744 active members*
4,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

memory card problem on robodrill

Hi, i have just purchased a 1999 robodrill and the onecnc 4 axis package to machine some small 3d work, problem is the robodrill wont accept the flash card i use on the oi control on my lathe. The robodrill control is a 16im (b0f1), i have tried my 2G and bought a 512MB card but it wont read them or format them. Any help would be great. I have read about the smaller ata flash cards is it worth giving these a try? and where can i find one?

Many thanks,

Sam

SRAM Cards

Early i controls (16ia, 18ia) could only use SRAM cards. We were told by GEF that putting an ATA Flash in the original units could damage them because of the 3v/5v difference in the cards. I have tested some SRAM cards from Epson (can't get them anymore) and Vikant Corp. model SA5002-P. They work fine. The Sram is more expensive but they work.

As far as the smaller flash card i believe you mean a Compact flash cards. you can use them with an adapter (ATA adapter) in a newer Fanuc control.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by aimcnc View Post
    Hi, i have just purchased a 1999 robodrill and the onecnc 4 axis package to machine some small 3d work, problem is the robodrill wont accept the flash card i use on the oi control on my lathe. The robodrill control is a 16im (b0f1), i have tried my 2G and bought a 512MB card but it wont read them or format them. Any help would be great. I have read about the smaller ata flash cards is it worth giving these a try? and where can i find one?

Many thanks,

Sam
    Sam,

We have a '00 Robodrill T14iAL and over the years we have tried all sorts of memory cards and mocrodrives on it. You'll need to use a smaller CompactFlash card (I assume you have a CF-PCMCIA adaptor). The Fanuc 16iM-A control can only handle cards up to 256MB. I have a small stash of new 128MB cards that I hide in a supply cabinet so that we'll always have them in case the flash card manufacturers stop making them.

Interested? I'll sell you one for cheap.

-S

Hi, thanks for the replies,

Shibi, i bought a 128MB Scandisk CF but that didn't work either. After a lengthy conversation with GEF i found the very early 16i controls do indeed use Static RAM cards (spot on gwiz) Managed to find an 8MB pretech card for £180.

Next problem........The new laptop i bought to run the cadcam software had an express card slot, not the pcmcia. So i had to buy a omnidrive SRAM reader/writer (£350) then had problems running it with vista. Nightmare.

Sods law the first 3D program was 9.5MB

After all this i found my robodrill has the remote option (i was told it didn't!!!!) so i can just run it from my old dnc software.

Suppose you live and learn, just wish my mistakes weren't so expensive!