584,817 active members*
4,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mori seiki SL3H

Happy new years to all!
    I just bought a 1985 Mori SL3H with a Yasnac LX1 control.
    My question is about setting parameter #6007? Every other parameter i can change, but the manual does not really tell me how to change D3 from 0=mm to 1=inch?
    If anyone can help, i thank you.
    The problem i am having is on the Z axis. I set my indicator up to check the travles, when i move Z 0.010 the indicator moves 0.014. X axis is fine, moving the indicator 0.005 when the machine reads 0.010.(Dia. programing)
    I will keep reading the LX1 manual, if anyone knows why the machine moves more than it says its moving, please let me know. Or if that is the wrong parameter to deal with this problem. I need to start programing, but not intill the issue is resolved.

C,

Just because the MPG wheel does not move the Axis exactly with the indicator, means nothing at first.

Machine a few parts and check their consistency. If the parts are good, the MPG wheel is worn or sending a sloppy siginal. It does not matter.

Check the parts.

JT

Look the parameter #6007 works for X & Z axis so if you change you gonna affect X axis. Check first mechanical, then check electronics. Whatever if you want to change parameters you must fine and a rotayr switch, genrally is placed in the tape reader or in the LX1 cnc cabinet. You have to put in parameter, the in mdi mode you select the paremert and push de down arrow button, when you are place in the desired parameter withthe arrows you can go through te 8 bits or you can put de eght bits word with the modification.
    I hope helps you
    Carlos

sl-3h

After running parts, the machine seems to run fine. Thank you all for the help. I am really happy with the machine. But it seems that i have to program the X axis in the negative to get it to run right. I talked to a few people and they said that on some of the older Mori's you have to program the X axis in negative. If anyone knows if that is right or if there is any way to switch this? When i generate code in Mastercam all of the X axis are positive for OD turning. So i cant just send programs to the machine without editing them first.

Yes it´s true. The all Sl-xx lathe series of Mori you have to program in negative the X axis. You can modified the mastercam post procesor and you can run the programm without editing it.

Carlos

C,

You can't change the X- factor on the machine. Everyone and their brother has complained about this. It would take a major overhaul to do this. I have asked my #1 Mori tech and he says forget it!

Anyway some history on this problem: The Japanese are very strict. They only see things a very certain way. So, when they got into making SLANT BED LATHES - A lathe with the tooling on the conventional lathes X- side they said: "Hmmm, Tools on reverse side of X0.0, Must make all machining on X- then. Because tools are on the X- side, right?"

Yes, they are, however this is a newer way to machine parts. Hardinge, an American Co., never did this. All turning is done on the X+ side. More reasonable. The Japanese did not want to seem out of place in the Cartesian coordinate world. To have "Much shame"
    That's it!

JT

Yes we know that. He could change the Mastecam postprocesor and then generate the g code program with X- movements.

Carlos

mori seiki sl-3h

I think that i will be fine with programing X in negative. I will just have to get use to it. I learned on a moir seiki. Then learned HAAS programing, then Fadal. All G-Code. But the worst is my Proto Tack MX2. I have to only use Mastercam to program. Thanks again to you all. A machinist will never know everything. Ill be cutting metal till the day i die. ------------CN-----------

You could modify the post to generate +X movements and assign it to that machine alone so as not to affect g-code for other models. It is pretty straight forward and once it's done your're set.
    Jaime M. Boxell Productionpal, Inc. Authorized Distributor of SpiderCool Systems
    (763) 412-5486 or [email protected] http://productionpal.googlepages.com/home

Yeah - it is a simple post fix (rename this post for that exact machine), then whenever you post for that machine, it will have it's own definitions and post.