586,000 active members*
5,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal CNC88 vs CNC88-HS

Fadal CNC88 vs CNC88-HS

Hello all,
    I have some experience running a VMC 15 with CNC88-HS controller. I'm in the market to buy my first Fadal (or any CNC for that matter). One machine i've looked at has a CNC-88 controller. Scanning through this controller it seems very different from the HS version. From loading programs to setting offsets - i couldn't even find the graphics screen to draw the tool paths. My question is: Is the 88-HS a far superior controller or is it just a matter of my getting past a learning curve? Would it be expensive to convert a CNC88 to a CNC88-HS? Any input at all would help. Thank you.

Robert

Robert--
    The CNC 88 is the original control version and had a processor of only 25 BPS where as the CNC 88HS controller started at 72 BPS and is now at 250 PBS processing speed.
    The system in the machine you are looking at may have been updated. Look at the card 1400 in slot #5 in the card cage in the rear of the machine. If it is a 1400-0 0r 1400-1 the you have the 25 and if it is 1400-2 then you have the 72. anything 1400-4 and beyond will be 150.

Hope that helps.

Neal

Robert,
    I have a 15 XT with an 88HS control. It has all the tool and work set up menus that you mentioned. Last Tuesday I had a job that required a larger work envelope and my friend who has a shop offered the use of his Fadal 4020 which has an 88 control. At first it seemed a little difficult to use because I am used to using the space bar to get to the menus I need. Once I started to remember the command codes to get to the menus I needed it was very close to using the 88HS control. For fixture offset, from enter next command you type "DF" and then hit enter. From there you go to the utilities menu and all of the fixture set up menus are there including finding the center of a circle or 90 degree corner and compensate for the radius of the edge finder. For tool offsets you type "DT" and then go to the utilities menu and that will allow to set up multiple tools and automatically compensate for your height block.
    If you find a good machine with an 88 control I wouldn't be worried about the learning curve which if you are familiar with the 88HS control should be about 1 day.
    Mark Hockett

Thanks Neal and Mark, both very helpful replies. I think i'm going to try to find an operators manual and learn some of those commands for the next machine that comes along. Thanks again.

Hi, we've had both 88 and 88HS controls. All of our machines have the HS controls on them now, but I used the 88 controls for so long, I still find myself using the command mode instead of the menus. It's really not that big of a deal. The only draw back that I have with the 88 control is there is no graphics option. Which does come in handy!

HOW IS FADAL 3016 WITH 88HS CONTROL HOW IS THIS CONTROL PLEASE HELP ME OR GUIDE ME IF I SHOULD BUY THIS MACHINE . I AM GETTIN THIS MACHINE IS 3300POUNDS
    WILL THIS CONTROL WORK PROPERLY WITH MODERN SOFTWARES .

88HS is just fine as far as controllers go. You might want to consider some other variables if you intend on buying a machining center though... other than weight and the controller.