584,829 active members*
5,005 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Anyone build a 4-stroke I.C engine?

Anyone build a 4-stroke I.C engine?

Anyone build a 4-stroke I.C engine?

That's all I build, I'm not a fan of the airplane engine (two cycle).

Bill C.

4 Stroke IC

When I first saw the picture of the engine Bill C posted I was quite facinated by it. In searching the web I found this site that has many 4 stroke examples and short movies of them running with sound. Very very cool!

http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines
    (sorry about this not being a hot link, I have not figured out how to turn on the HTML)

Bill if you have other examples you are working/have made I am sure everyone would be interested in seeing them.

Ken

I've seen the V-8 run, they sound soo sweet!

Ken Hurst is apparently prolific engine builder and is an inspiration to all who have an interest in IC engines. His site with the sights and sounds is a joy to visit and I have shared his 'sounds' with others often.

Wall engines are tried and true and are from here in the USA (Chicago). The Challenger V-8 is also available from a Coles' Casting Set and when completed, is a marvel, but there are many, many parts to that calibre engine even for an experienced builder. There are 'over head valve' heads available for the Challenger (flat head) and a blower.

These engines are not toys, they are REAL engines with real maintenance, problems, and construction expertise required. The undertaking to construct one of these is a great reward when complete (with dilligence) and will be a cherished item to anyone.

I often see a completed engine on ebay and wonder where the builder is; died? The price sometimes reflects an understanding of the dedication required to complete one but usually does not. I have purchased a few model engines on ebay that were runable, trash, and a few worthy of some reconditioning to run again (some never have).

Build your own from a casting set and a set of prints, you can't go wrong.

I'll say this: If an engine 'of proper technique' has compression, ignition, a fuel supply and some lubrication, to your joy, it will run.

Bill C.

My jaw dropped when I checked that out. It is truly amazing.

I can't imagine finding the time for an endeavor of that magnatude.

kenny
    "Plan your work; Work your plan"

Bill's engines are really remarkable.

If you're looking for a beginner's engine suitable as a first tme project then take a look at the Castvee engine on my site.

Please take note of Bill's warnings. These are real engines and having been kicked in the bum by a real horse, I'd hate to get bitten by one of these little monsters. Mine develops 3.2Hp and thats a lot of bite if care is not taken.

Enjoy your engines folks they are real fun, particularly when mounted in a little dragster.

Glenn
    In Jus Voco Spurius
    http://www.metalbashatorium.com