585,744 active members*
4,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Type HAAS Control

Hi!

Just received a new ec1600 with the latest controller on it.
    Have only had a quick play, but thought i'd get any tips tricks or opinions from anyone else with the new type.

it's our 5th machine with an lcd screen, and they are all as per our older machines.
    I've always though they were quite wasteful with the displays, so much info is duplicated, the new one looks much better!

Have already found the setting for background colour, don't know what the guys will think of bright PINK though!! haha
    >>>>>>>>>> Made In England <<<<<<<<<<

new control

yea, I just got mine too, my very first thought was "I don't like" it but I think that is just because I am used to the other interface.

Obviously a lot of thought went into this so I'm giving it a chance before passing judgment.
    also this machine is a lathe and all my other machines are mills so it's less of a problem for the screens to be "different"

I do miss my large DRO with two coordinate displays easy to glance at and see.
    also it looks like they removed the recorder function from the IPS and I don't know why.

One thing I thought would be easy would be a setting for "classic display" like windows sometimes offers the option of a retro-display. Didn't find anything like that.

Apps?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger_Ninja54 View Post
    Hi!

Just received a new ec1600 with the latest controller on it.
    Have only had a quick play, but thought i'd get any tips tricks or opinions from anyone else with the new type.

it's our 5th machine with an lcd screen, and they are all as per our older machines.
    I've always though they were quite wasteful with the displays, so much info is duplicated, the new one looks much better!

Have already found the setting for background colour, don't know what the guys will think of bright PINK though!! haha
    EC-1600?! We need pics and videos! Parts and Rigging or whatever Congrats on the new delivery

Have you guy's ever ran an antique NC with no monitor on the control, just LED lights? You would appreciate any type of monitor...
    Wayne Hill

Quote Originally Posted by WayneHill View Post
    Have you guy's ever ran an antique NC with no monitor on the control, just LED lights? You would appreciate any type of monitor...
    hahaha! good one!

Quote Originally Posted by 1ctoolfool View Post
    yea, I just got mine too, my very first thought was "I don't like" it but I think that is just because I am used to the other interface....

....One thing I thought would be easy would be a setting for "classic display" like windows sometimes offers the option of a retro-display. Didn't find anything like that.

Apps?
    We bought a few machines this year with the new display and it makes me glad I don't have to run them and bend my brain around an unfamiliar display; the 'retro' option would be nice for us stick-in-the-muds.

To be fair though they do provide more information on one screen and that can be useful, but what seems particularly awkward is finding and changing Parameters.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Ah a new toy for x-mas

Ginger_Ninja54 everything on the old controler is still right there on the new one,some of it is just in tabs now.I found after a day playing around it wasn't a big deal,kind of like going from windows 98 to xp.I think the next step for Haas will be a mouse so it's just point and clik,and maybe a dvd player

(Have already found the setting for background colour, don't know what the guys will think of bright PINK though!! )

I have allready made it clear to everyone in the shop that if they go by and see a red screen that I am setting are new ec-500 up and just mite be inside getting offsets so no suden noices! Hate when people walk up and startel me
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ctoolfool View Post
    also it looks like they removed the recorder function from the IPS and I don't know why.
    Read the screen while you're in IPS, cycle start to run, or F4 to record to a program. It's not the same as the old recorder...but it's a lot easier to deal with and paste code where you want it to be.

I am not a big fan of the new controller. Some parts of it I like but the editor on it bothers me. So many things have changed it puts a few hick ups in my programing style. I find myself going to a sim with the old lcd to do my programing.
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Whats different in the editor...the F1 menu is the same, the hotkeys function the same...I'm not sure where the problem is? If you post up though, I can relay it to the factory...maybe it's a bug.

The selection modes in the f1 keys
    find and replace I use alot and in the old editor it would highlight the text to change the new one shows nothing and you must guess.
    I also find it hard on the eyes just the way the "explanation text" shows up in the bottom of the window when you start a command.
    A tolerable annoyance is say I step away for something the screen saver comes on I push cancel when I get back but now half the screen is missing. I must leave what ever mode I'm in to something else just to come back to clean up the screen.
    And one more to the list duplication programs with in the memory just dose not seem passable to me, I can't get it to work, copying from USB to memory or vise versa no problem but duplicating not so easy.
    HAAS GR-408

Whats the software version on your machine? Write it down when you first power the machine up and then post it here...some of this is bugs and I think some are already fixed. Is the machine still in warranty?

I hope so its less then a few months old don't know for sure I'm just a floor guy
    I will look tomorrow morning at power up
    HAAS GR-408

Ok
    So the machine is VER M16.02C
    HAAS GR-408

any more thoughts or experiences with the new controller chaps????

getting 'into' it now.
    don't like not having qc or vqc in editing mode.
    like the ips probing, but not really ips programming (yet).
    had to have an upgrade of software already, but still seem to be some glitches, as per other posts above.
    my guys want it downgraded to 'old style' control, but im keen to keep the new one.

have some super pics from delivery, but cant post them due to work regulations.
    can say though, had about 1.5" to spare on each side and top coming in the factory!
    delivery guys did a sterling job getting the mch in!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger_Ninja54 View Post
    ......had about 1.5" to spare on each side and top coming in the factory!.....!
    1.5" a side? That is 3" total; try 1" total, or maybe a gnat's whisker less than 1".

We had to cut a section out of the mist collector ducting but were too lazy to move a GT20 on one side and a HL1 on the other when we snaked a VF2 into position. The yellow circle in the first picture shows where we had about an inch to the GT20 and the white circle where we had negative clearance to the coolant tank on the HL1; negative by less than the paint thickness on the VF2 because we didn't exppose bare metal but left some paint behind, see second picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clearance1.jpg   Clearance2.jpg  

Nice work Ginger_Ninja54, and Geof
    We could do a whole page on "install days" One of my older computers has a bunch of pictures on it that might be..lost forever.. but it would be a interesting thread for sure.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    ..We could do a whole page on "install days"...
    I did a couple of thread showing my more funky 'installs' for machines in my home shop and did post in another thread about an install at the shop, but I can't find the picture for my best one which shows a fully crated HL1 Big Bore hanging with a 14 degree list by a single strap from a boom crane.

Thidiot riggers had brought the wrong forklift and this was their solution to avoid going and getting a bigger one; needless to say I rarely use riggers now because I find myself more trustworthy.

I don't even have pistures for my best (?) install pre-cnc; a Herbert Turret Lathe laying flat on its back in the middle of a parking lot when I did not guess the location of the balance point on the forks correctly. 5500 lbs hitting the ground from 30" high made all the surrounding buildings bounce and had people running out thinkling it was an earthquake.

Ginger_Ninja54 you say about having a few glitches, had one yesterday,very strange,I was simply altering a r start point in a g73 and when I hit alter button seen extra flash on screan,mmmm? I looked at the program couldn't find anything so hit reset and started running,well when it got to the g73 line I see it erased g73-r-and Q so all I was going to get were x-y-z movements,would have been a miner crash but still! First time the new one did anything scary like that ,I have had more problems with the new remote then anything,I swear that damm thing has a mind off it's own .

oh and you guy's saying about thight fits with installs,well I'll go the other way on that subject.We have plenty of room,it was real nice to back the truck right in and pick the ec off and put in place,maybe took 30 minutes ,don't anyone take that as a dig,just sayin.
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.