584,854 active members*
4,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X2 Z-Axis Motor Mount

I was just wondering what you perfer? I see some that are directly over top of the ball screw, and some that are off to the side and drive the ball screw via pulley/belt. What is the Pros/Cons of each?

Thanks, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by SSfab View Post
    I was just wondering what you perfer? I see some that are directly over top of the ball screw, and some that are off to the side and drive the ball screw via pulley/belt. What is the Pros/Cons of each?

Thanks, Scott
    I took a different approach, very similar to the X3. I securely bolted plates to both sides of the head that extend behind the column. I mounted the screw in the center rear of the column. Worked beautifully, and was very simple to do. Keeps the screw protected from chips and coolant, and doesn't make the mill 5 feet tall.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I took a different approach, very similar to the X3. I securely bolted plates to both sides of the head that extend behind the column. I mounted the screw in the center rear of the column. Worked beautifully, and was very simple to do. Keeps the screw protected from chips and coolant, and doesn't make the mill 5 feet tall.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Pics please.

CR.

yeah definatly pics, i think i understand what your saying but lets see some photos.

Sounds like a version of cncbridges Z axis.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=293

not a big fan of that. It looks out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Pics please.

CR.
    I'll have to dig it out and take some. The machine has been in the corner for the last couple of years, since I got a knee mill. Like I said, it's very similar to an X3. In fact, I used an X3 Z axis leadscrew and nut. The motor is mounted to a small plate on top of the column, with a 2.5:1 belt reducer, so the height of the machine is unchanged.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The way i will do mine when im feeling better. Is ball screw front center,Stepper motor mounted in the back of column. And use pulley/timing belt system.
    And to protect ball screw i will use the samething that protects the table screws on a X2. You can order this rubber from little machine shop.com
    I did think about having the ball screw back center column. But i feel it was not for me;since im doing other mods to it. As for side mount acme or ball screws? I just don't like side loading the dovetails.

Is there anything wrong with mounting it directly over the ball screw, front center?

Here are the picture of my X2. It's ugly (I did it in a day with scrap material), and dirty (the machine's been in the corner gathering dust for over a year, since I got a knee mill), but works very nicely.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040777.jpg   P1040774.jpg   P1040775.JPG   P1040776.jpg  

not bad

That looks quite nice actually. Could use a caring hand though. Why not sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Blight View Post
    That looks quite nice actually. Could use a caring hand though. Why not sell it?
    The hassles of shipping. Not likely to find a buyer locally, as I live in the sticks. One of these days, I'm going to get energetic, and resurrect it, to use as a drill press.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for the pics, that's what I hope to do eventually. I want my ball screw on the back to keep it away from all the chips. Just makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Here are the picture of my X2. It's ugly (I did it in a day with scrap material), and dirty (the machine's been in the corner gathering dust for over a year, since I got a knee mill), but works very nicely.

Regards,
    Ray L.