585,974 active members*
4,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Help! alarm 414 X axis detect err

Help! alarm 414 X axis detect err

I have Fanuc OM control it has been making a buzzing whining type noise as if from a bad relay or transformer for about a year but has been running fine until now.
    the noise became louder then it alarmed out.
    my question is can I swap the x axis servo drive unit with the Y to either confirm or eliminate the drive unit as the problem? they look identical.

Thanks in advance

Hello

I have the same alarm but with a Fanuc OT on a different axis, see my thread "424 alarm". Are you sure the whining is not coming from the motor? Mine is, even though the motor checks out OK. The obvious answer is that the axis is mechanically jammed. If not I hope you have better luck than me fixing it. Let me know if the noise is coming from the motor.

You can swap the servos and try.
    It's either a bad servo or the axis is sluggish.
    Maybe bad lubrication.I've had it on a machine and it was bad way lubrication.
    Stefan Vendin

Quote Originally Posted by DALEK View Post
    Hello

I have the same alarm but with a Fanuc OT on a different axis, see my thread "424 alarm". Are you sure the whining is not coming from the motor? Mine is, even though the motor checks out OK. The obvious answer is that the axis is mechanically jammed. If not I hope you have better luck than me fixing it. Let me know if the noise is coming from the motor.
    The noise is not coming from the motor, it is coming from the electronics cabinet.
    I don't have to attempt to move the axis for it to alarm out, when I turn the machine on cold it will whine for a minute or so and then alarm.

Thanks,

Can I get away with swapping the wires from the X axis servo driver to the Y axis servo driver, without doing damage to something else?

Try to isolate which of the magnetics is causing the whine, if a transformer, it is usually an indication of overload, if a relay or contactor especially, it can be because of sticking armature of the contactor, if AC coil type.
    It is also possible it is coming directly from the drive.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

With everything being equal, motor size the same etc, usually you can get away by swapping the connectors, this is as long as any axis encoder is on the motor and not on the end of the ball screw.
    Al.

Quote Originally Posted by CVMW View Post
    Can I get away with swapping the wires from the X axis servo driver to the Y axis servo driver, without doing damage to something else?
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks,
    encoders are in the motors, So I'll swap connectors and a and see what happens. I'll let you know.

If the alarm 414 is related to
    OVC (Diagnostic 720 = 00100000)
    or HC (Diagnostic 720 = 00010000) "8." displayed on the servo amp
    and noise comes from the drive:

Disconnect the motor power cable either from the X-axis motor or from the servo amp.
    If the alarm appears with cable disconnected from the motor but still attached to the amp, it is possible that the power connector is shorted to ground or between phases.
    You should strip the power connector and visually check for corrosion of the wire terminals. Usually you can smell if the connector has been arcing inside.

The X-axis servo motor is prone to get water onto the power and feedback connectors. The red cover also is only dripproof (IP67) and continuous or prolonged coolant exposure will cause coolant to enter into the motor through the cover seal. Maybe take the cover off as well for a visual inspection.

You can also megger the cable between phases and ground as well as between phases only at 500V but the calbe must be completely disconnected from the motor and the servo amp. Aslo megger the motor. (DO NOT MEGGER THE CONNECTOR WITH 17 pins)
    Note:
    The X-axis power cable has to be flexible and oil resistant. Usually the combination of heat and the coolant attacks the PVC sheath of the cable which makes the cable hard and brittle like a stick. As the X-axis moves with Y-axis, the cable bends and breaks, causing the phases to short together or short out inside the metal cable conduit.

Let us know what the servo amp spec is (A06B-6079-Hxxx) and if an alarm appears on the servo amp when 414 is displayed on the screen.