585,712 active members*
4,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Attention CT129 Owners + Help Needed

Attention CT129 Owners + Help Needed

Just wanted to pass on some information about a recent purchase.

I was able to order a replacement spindle in an R8 format for BusyBee tools part # CT129R8 to replace the current MT2 unit.

See the attached picture.

I haven't taken exact measurements but it appears I will loose about 1 inch in the Z height but I OK with getting all the R8 tooling possibilities.

Now for the help part. I misplaced my manual that has all the exploded diagrams. If someone can PM me if they can get me a copy of those pages it would be a big help.

Thanks J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010400.jpg  

Attention CT129 Owners + Help Needed (Manual Found)

After waiting almost 2 weeks (3 kids keeps you busy) I decided to check the busybee website for the manual and it's now there.
    I'm glad I waited because I was thinking I needed to take apart the untire head. Less than 10 min job to remove.

Here are some pics of the R8 & MT2 spindles side by side.

Something new compared to the old unit is a threaded hole that can lock the spindle.(Cap screw fits perfect) This will come in handy for re-installing the drawbar cover on the top becuase there are no wrench flats anymore.
    Speaking or drawbars that's my only problem, you will need a new one if you get this spindle. I might make my own if they are not in-stock or a reasonable $.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010406.jpg   P1010407.jpg   P1010409.jpg  

Just out of interest how do you remove the spindle - It looks like you just have to remove the drilling downfeed assembly on the right of the head? Or is there more to it? Thanks for any info.

Hi just a quick question about your R8 spindle, how much did you pay for it? if you don't mind me asking.. that's what is keeping me from buying the CT129 and will probably buy the CT129N with the MT3 spindle, since most of the tooling for my lathe is MT3.
    Thanks.
    Hardware: the part of the computer that can be kicked. If you can only curse at it, it's software.

Removal is easy

Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    Just out of interest how do you remove the spindle - It looks like you just have to remove the drilling down feed assembly on the right of the head? Or is there more to it? Thanks for any info.

No it's really easy, with top cover off you need a couple large wrenches (I used adjustable ones) and remove the drawbar cover and the drawbar slides right out. That part is missing from the exploded view in the manual.
    After that there is a spring loaded sleeve (part # 202) covering a C style clamp (part # 201) just set your large adjustable to the right size and slide down enough to remove the C clamp. Then just crank the down feed until the whole unit slides out.

What is not depicted very well in the manual is the splined shaft is threaded at the top for the drawbar cover.

Here are some close up pics of the top of the shaft (part # 206) where the C style clamp goes and drawbar cover that goes on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010418.jpg   P1010419.jpg  

Other info

Quote Originally Posted by freemen View Post
    Hi just a quick question about your R8 spindle, how much did you pay for it? if you don't mind me asking.. that's what is keeping me from buying the CT129 and will probably buy the CT129N with the MT3 spindle, since most of the tooling for my lathe is MT3.
    Thanks.

I forgot that I posted the amount in another thread, I paid $175+tax for the spindle. I was also told that you can buy an MT3 spindle to retrofit the MT2 version.
    (Please note I don't have a drawbar yet or even know the price)

Personally if I was buying another unit I would go this way again, it's $999 on sale + $175 =$1174 (I guess until they run out of stock) which it just a bit cheaper than the CT129N at $1228 currently. When I bought last year I paid $1198 and had to wait 4 months for it to arrive. I guess it pays to wait sometimes but on the other hand without the unit I couldn't plan my CNC conversion.

I also found a great deal on eBay for R8 collets, 23 piece set in a wooden box. I needed a lot of smaller sizes for what I'm planning - 1/16" to 3/4" in 1/32 increments.

The last thing I wanted to mention is you might have to clean up inside the dimension of the spindle, the first collet I bought from busybee was a very tight and would not slide up to the R8 taper. When we tried a drill chuck arbor it slid in no problem. Busybee blamed it on poor manufacturing tolerances. IMO you get what you pay for when it's made over seas.

Drawbar update

The first batch of spindles were shipping without the drawbar and it was supposed to be included, I spoke with customer service today and they are going to ship it to me when they arrive. They also mentioned is has a 7/16 by 20 thread in case you want to make your own. (if you are in a hurry)