586,009 active members*
4,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Extra .500" Y Travel on a Taig

K, I've recently developed a need for a full 6" of travel on my taig (or atleast i will after i build a fixture that will hold 4 1.5"x1.5"x12" pieces) and it seems like it should be fairly simple.

All i need are two rectangular spacer blocks, one that extends the stepper mount and one that extends the head assembly. I reason that I already have the extra travel on my lead screw because:

The saddle is 5.5" square. Say the nut is an inch and centered in the saddle, that leaves 2.25 inches of space between the egde to the saddle and the edge of the lead nut. There is only 1.5 inches space between the end of the treads and the Z coulomb, meaning at the end of travel (when the saddle hits the z coulomb, assuming your work fits under the z slide) you still have .75" to go. My half plus a quarter for good measure.

And yes at the other extrema the saddle would protrude the half inch over the gibs, but that should be acceptable? I machine aluminum but the particular application where I need the extra travel is for wood, although i think it would be stable enough for aluminum.

Any opinions?

you can expand it by 1 inch if you use a 1 inch block under the stepper and use the lathe tailstock riser on the spindle...or 1 inch plate under the dovetail

I use the riser on mine ...works great and get close to 7 inches total
    Taig Owners Club.......
    Google Search. Taig Owners Club

Doesn't this belong in the Taig part of the forum? I figure you might get more response there.

i have asked for it to be moved
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne