584,861 active members*
4,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tip volt setting for ATHC "NEWBIE"

Anyone know a good rule of thumb for settings?
    I ruined a 60 amp tip on only one cutout and I'm sure I didn't have the right tip voltage setting for my tip OR material because the torch didn't seem to keep proper distance from metal. Any help?

What would be a good starting point for a Cutmaster 52 with a 30amp tip cutting 20 gauge mild steel using my new DynaCNC w/mach3

Anyone know of a chart ?

Want to have it set close for ATHC to work well.
    How about IPM recommendation?

Thanks

The typical target voltage for a TD torch (like the Cutmaster 52) is about 100 to 110 volts. Suggested cut gap is .125 pierce height should be about .2. Feedrate and exact tip volts should be based on material. There should be a chart in the Cutmaster Users Manual that will give you target settings. You feedrates for 20ga will be pretty high (300 IPM) with a 30A tip. Turning the current down will let you slow down BUT it changes the gap voltage so it won't be on the chart.

Best way is to setup with the IHS (touch off) and run a cut manually on a flat piece of metal. Watch the TIP volts readout as it cuts and mentally average the readings and use that as your beginning Target volts. Just turn off the THC button in MACH to cut without the THC. Once you have that target set it and refine it by adjusting the target as you cut to get the proper cut gap. Write it down and start you own charts.

It would really help to have the recommended IPM (feedrate) for the material you are cutting with a given tip size. It's more about the torch model you are using than the actual plasma cutter. The Thermadyne website has cut charts for all of their torches.

DynaCNC's tech support should be able to help you though setting up the THC and getting a proper cut.

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com
    Totally Modular CNC Electronics
    Low cost Digital Torch Height Controller