585,973 active members*
3,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Large File?

Large File?

I belive that the memory may be full on the machine. So I have a couple of questions.

How do I remove the old programs?

How do I know how much capacity the machine has?

Can I run the program from the memory card I am using?

FANUC is notorious for small basic memory but it is not so bad anymore.

To clear the memory you can either clear one program at a time or all programs with one operation. If you wrote the programs on the control, I would advise that you backup the programs to the memory card or to your PC.

Clearing one program at a time:
    EDIT mode
    Edit prohibit key off (to be able to edit part programs)
    Type in the program number currently displayed. Example O0001
    Press DELETE

Clearing all programs at once:
    Same as above except that you type O-9999 and then press DELETE.

CAUTION!
    Ensure that "hidden" programs are protected and also backed up to your PC or memory card.

"Hidden" programs are usually any programs called up by M-code or G-code to execute sequences involving the Toolchange, Pallet change, Renishaw probe etc. These programs will fall in the range of 9000 to 9999 inclusive.

You can view the number of characters and registered programs USED and FREE in the program LIBRARY or DIRECTORY screen which is accessible in the PROGRAM screen whilst in EDIT mode.

You don't have to pay FANUC money to extend the CNC part program storage. This is one additional advantage of the memory card.

You can run programs from the memory card provided that there is a mode marked as DNC or REMOTE available on the machine operator's panel mode selector switch.

The newer generation FS-0iMC and I suppose the FS-0iMD uses a convenient softkey operation:
    **In EDIT mode and in the PROGRAM screen, press the > softkey repeatedly until you see CD-DNC (methink).
    **Once selected you will see the Memory card directory and then you select the file number and press the softkey DNC-ST.
    Press Cycle Start on the operator's panel and the machine will run as if you are dripfeeding from a PC but at much higher speed.

Or:
    Make a small Main program beginning with all the usual cancellation codes and then call the program(file) from memory card with M198 as for example:
    O7777;
    G80G40G49etc;
    M198 Pxxxxyyyy (xxxx = program number; yyyy = number of repititions)
    M30;

Remember that the I/O setting must be 4 to read any data from the memory card. Wether for program transfer or for DNC (dripfeed).

I would still like to see anybody filling up a 512MB CF card for one machine's programs.

If in doubt, read the operator's manual...

What model Fanuc is this? I may be able to tell you how much memory and if you can up it without hardware addition.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Fanuc oi-mb

I may have seen 113,### somewere but I dont know if this is mega or kbs

Fanuc Oi-MB should have 640 meter max.

Ahn Vuong

I have tried the steps but I never saw any DNC option.

Maybe this machine does not have this option.

Is there any other way to run large files. Or am I stuck with what the machine has.

Esadaddy,
    Look in the ladder diagram how G43 bit 5 (xx1xxxxx) is set. Maybe not by button only, but with some keep relay+AUTO mode switch. Check I/O device=4 and parameter 138 bit 7=1

"Look in the ladder diagram how G43 bit 5 (xx1xxxxx) is set. Maybe not by button only, but with some keep relay+AUTO mode switch. Check I/O device=4 and parameter 138 bit 7=1"

Could you explain a lil more detail please?

FS-0iMB cannot use the memory card for program transfer. FANUC maintenance function only.
    I/O = 4 not available for this control. ("Value out of range" message)
    [DNC-CD] and [DNC-ST] softkeys are only available for FS-0iMC after 2007.

Values indicated on the LIBRARY or DIRECTORY screen are indicated in bytes.
    100 = 0.1 kb (roughly); 1024 = 1 kb etc.

If you already have max memory then the other options are:
    1. Dripfeeding via RS-232
    2. Adding a Remote Buffer with ATA Flash card. I/O slot unit has to be upgraded. (Works like a hard disk connected to a remote PC via ethernet. Needs FTP software on the remote PC. Worth the money)

Thank you

I will try drip feeding first

hi

there is another Case on the Fanucs, you can have so mutch memory free as you want, but Fanuc will not let u use it, if u have the option 125 files, and u have 125 files in memory it saids full eighter, like me 200k free, but can not use it on a18itb.

hrh, check again if you mean 0i-MB or some previous model. From year 2002 or 2003 Fanuc 0i-MB CAN use memory card for DNC. As a.m., parameter 138.7 enables this option for free (there is Fanuc appl. note about this).

In my case since I am using the oi-mb controller,How do I activate this parameter 138.7?

And in the case of drip freeding. Is there any special software I need in order to drip feed?

button OFFset, setting
    Paameter write enable=1
    button System
    138 [No.Src.]
    10000000 Input
    button OFFset, setting
    Paameter write enable=0
    Reset

f_bu

I will try these settings tommorow at work.

Once the changes are made what should I do after that?

Will I see dnc as an option on the display? Or is there another path I must go down?

You may be able to use a solution I used years ago on a Fanuc6M control with no DNC option, I simply loaded the program in huge chunks, running to the last block, leaving spindle running, etc. Flip to edit, delete the current program, load the next part of the program, flip back to run and cycle start. The machine never missed a beat, just be careful to not hit reset while deleting/adding programs.

Thanks f_bu.

Where can I get the application note regarding parameter 138?

hrh,
    Your local Fanuc office should have it, the number is TMN03/040E dated April, 2003. For the following system software, about DNC operation with memory card refer to the operator’s manual of Series 16i/18i/21i-B. For example in OPM for 16i/18i-TB see pages 545-548
    CNC Series of software Available Edition
    0i-TB D6A1 02 or later
    0i-MB D4A1 02 or later
    0i Mate-TB D701 02 or later
    0i Mate-MB D501 03 or later

In South Africa, the phone of the Fanuc office should be 392-3610/1/2/3/4 Isando 1600

Thanks f_bu.

I will try to contact FANUC to see if they have the application note.