585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Looking for someone in the Seattle/Eastside area

Looking for someone in the Seattle/Eastside area

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here; I've been busy with my laser and I'm just now wanting to get back to my CNC mill.

I have no idea what I'm doing; therefore, I'm curious to know if there's anyone in the Seattle/Eastside area that would be willing to show me some tricks of the trade. Specifically I'm located in North Bend, WA.

I'd be more than happy to do some trade sharing. I'm an experienced wood worker, laser engraver and software developer.

I'd like to learn how to perform rotary engraving using my Taig CNC mill in addition I have a new copy of BOB CAD that I haven't even played with yet (it scares me) :O

Please let me know if anyone is out there willing to educate a noob.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Ed

Hey there

Hello North Bend from Spokane. I have trained some folk on CNC, even BobCAD, and I am curious what it is you are wanting to do. Rotary engraving, as in, milling around a 4 axis cut ? I have been doing a fair amount of that. Would love to take a look at whatcha doing, and if need be, maybe a field trip would be a fresh change.

What version specifically of BobCAD do you have? You have a Taig mill ? Do you have any specific CAD files you are wanting to work on ! Drop a line [email protected]

PS Oh yeah, trade would work fine, I might need some work working sometime... new friends are good too.

Anyone in Seattle, Redmond WA area still out there? Looking to connect with fellow CNC'rs!

kent Wa here! I have never used Bobcad but i did run a machining center with a 4th axis capability years ago and did some hand coding for the 'A' axis but nothing such as engraving. Recently I built a Joes 4x4 cnc 3 axis router which is running great. You have probably seen this link:
    http://www.cartertools.com/fake4th.html
    It describes making your layout match the unwrapped circumference of the part and using a linear axis to control the rotary motion. At the bottom there is a picture of an engraved ring and mention of it being programmed with TurboCNC.

Great to see some locals that around. I am just a hobbyist starting (no machine yet), but would really like to meet some people to to help the learning curve. I live in the Fall City area.

Would like to hear from you nosplinters if you are still around.
    If you don't like it build it yourself

I'm sure this area doesn't get may views... so just a bump.
    If you don't like it build it yourself

I live in Seattle (Ballard). I just ordered the hf44991 (Sieg X2) and the hf95012 micro lathe (Seig c0).

I use to write software for CNC conversions way back in the 80's. I have a little bit of manual machining and lathe experience, but my real knowledge is in software and electronics.

Willing to help out wherever I can. I plan on using the mill and lathe to build a would router (maybe 3x3) to route guitar bodies. So I am interested in machining metal and wood.

Not sure if anybody local checks this, but I figured it was worth a shot. I am in Maple Valley and work in Kent. I have a Sherline mill and lathe. I have been working on building a CNC router for some time. I finished the controller awhile back and have most of the major parts (screws, bearings, etc.). Lately I have been working on the bed. I have very little machining experience. That said I am interested in a mentor for help with setups and learning the basic skills. In terms of what I have to offer I am an engineer by trade and pretty good with CAD software and generating models.