585,970 active members*
4,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Laser Addition for existing CNC - Possible ?

Laser Addition for existing CNC - Possible ?

Chaps, I hope someone can advise me here because ive googled until ive gone blind but cant find a solution to my problem.

I have a K2 CNC and use it with a router 100% of the time, I need to cut some very fine detail parts though and ive been looking for a laser to do this.
    im planning on cutting 3mm thick acrylic - nothing heavier really and im sure that there are lasers out there that can do it, I just cant find them

Cheers,

J.

Laser for existing CNC

I have been looking for exactly the same thing. Replace the router with a laser and off we go. Is any American manufacturer looking at this????
    Thanks. Mike

There are so many differences between controlling a laser and a router that it might not be cost effective to try to build a dual purpose machine. The software that controls the laser is probably the biggest obstacle. My laser uses a printer driver to control all of the various parameters - speed, power, etc. The motion system of a laser is much lighter duty than a router and you have a mirror/lens system that isn't very forgiving to the environment that most routers are used in - dust in particular.

Most lasers have moving tables for the Z, it's much easier than trying to move mirrors or an entire tube, and most routers move the spindle. I am not sure how you would overcome that obstacle.