586,009 active members*
4,744 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threading a Paintball gun

So i am doing a project involving the process of rethreading a Paintball gun, does anyone no where to get the tools to do this? I was also recommended to mill out the existing threads, make a sleeve myself and then cold weld it into the body.

Barrel threads? Are you adapting the gun to a different thread pattern, or repairing damaged threads? What gun? What size thread do you need? There are so many possibilities it's hard to offer advice.
    Is taking the gun to a machine shop out of the question?

I used to do a lot of side work for a local paintball shop/field, back when I played all the time... so your question grabbed my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by vlmarshall View Post
    Barrel threads? Are you adapting the gun to a different thread pattern, or repairing damaged threads? What gun? What size thread do you need? There are so many possibilities it's hard to offer advice.
    Is taking the gun to a machine shop out of the question?

I used to do a lot of side work for a local paintball shop/field, back when I played all the time... so your question grabbed my attention.
    hey, yeah im trying to adapt the gun to a different thread pattern, its a ACI Maverick and Im going to adapt it to a spyder thread (22mm 1.5). Im planning to use a hand tap, but i dont know if I have to use a machine shop or where to find one for that matter. Do hand taps http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...FC-GB100000001 need to be machine operated? or is the "hand" part literal.

Yes, you can turn that tap without machine tools, although a tap handle http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=57572768 will help you keep it straight.

First, however, you need a correctly-sized hole. (20.5mm) What size threads does ACI use on the Maverick? I can't find anything online about it, and the only ACI marker I have is an old F1.
    Like the earlier suggestions said, you may need to remove the existing threads and add a sleeve to the gun's body, to actually have material to cut threads into.

Do you have calipers? Measure the threaded hole in the Maverick. While you're at it, if you measure the outside ("Major Diameter") of the barrel's thread, and the distance between threads, we could figure out what thread they use.
    Hopefully, the outside diameter of the barrel is smaller than .807", and you'll have plenty of material in the marker for the new threads.

Otherwise...you've got more work.
    You don't live anywhere near Virginia, do you?

So i was looking around on the web and found that the MAverick body is big enough for the threads and I found the measurements.

i dont think i will need to mill out the old threads, which is a relief.

hahaha i dont live in virginia no, im out in California, but this is actually a pretty big project you see im building a bolt action gun, so im going to fit the Maverick into a wooden stock and then remove the cocking handle and put in a rifle bolt to make it work like a real gun. This post has actually been the most helpful out of all the sites I've been posting on haha, you might be able to help me out later in the proj as well ill pm you my email.

p.s. the link to the tap wrench that you gave me, will the wrench size fit for the 22mm/1.5 hand tap in the link i posteed? thanks man
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails traccerrethread.jpg  

Yeah, that tap wrench will work with your tap, I tried to find one on the site you linked, but had to go to MSC instead.

The wooden stock Maverick sounds great, it reminds me of the old Hurricane. Post pictures as you make progress.

for sure man thanks alot, your links helped me a ton. ill post the link of where the pix are going to be.