584,841 active members*
4,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Magnaturn 1218 Z-Axis problem

A friend has a Magnaturn 1218. With my help we have it up and running. (I’m a computer geek). Everything seems to be functioning but the Z-Axis seems to be oscillating while idle.

We did find a repair bill that came with the machine that seemed to address this problem. The tech (back in 2001, I think) noted that he adjusted something to do with the X-Z Axis for the correct waveform using an oscilloscope. I’ve looked at every circuit board and haven’t found any pots/caps/whatever to adjust. I did find in the software some settings for Z-Axis, but playing with the settings did not stop the unit from oscillating.

Any ideas on how we should proceed?

Thanks!
    Dan AKA Scorby

magnaturn 1218

i had the same problem i have reduced it to about .0007 by going to f1 / system set up / z axis set up and increasing the min vel. to 200 . hope this helps not sure of what it was set at from factory . . ken

I too had the same pulsating issue. The machine I acquired last Summer had been sitting for quite some time before I got it. I lubed everything up and then wrote a program to go through the full motions to see if everything worked. The more I ran the machine, the better the pulsating got. After a while (couple hours of running time) it just went away on its own. I may have just gotten lucky, but it definitely was improving the more I ran the machine.

Ken,
    I just checked and I don't have a "min vel" setting with my software. I'm running version 3.03a of the software. Is there a newer version that has more options?

Also, what is the source of power for your machines? True 3-phase from your local utility or generated 3-phase from an RPC? I'm running my machines off of a 40 HP RPC and the machine just sputters a bit and then the pump quits on me if I go above 2000 RPMs. Works like a dream if I stay below 2k RPMs. It seems to blow some internal thermal switch or something as it won't instantly restart the pump, but after a couple of minutes it will. The main internal fuses are a bit warm, but never blow. I'm just wondering what could be wrong with my machine. Seems odd that it would put that much strain on the motor just spinning an empty spindle. Maybe my RPC is too small? Just wondering what you guys are using?

Thanks,

Kelly

magnaturn 1218

I'm running version 3.03a of the software. F1 THEN F4 SYSTEM SET UP
    THEN SELECT Z AXIS CHECK OUT PICTURE ATTACHED. generated 3-phase from an RPC. I'm running my machine off of a 20 HP RPC. THE REASON WHY THERE IS SUCH A LOAD ON MOTOR IS ITS RUNNING TWO HYDRILIC MOTORS TO TURN SPINDLE. YOU MAY HAVE YOUR GENERATED LEG OF THIRD PHASE ON COIL FOR MOTOR STARTER COIL. CHECK THAT OUT . KEN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ice 025.jpg