585,992 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

My router project

Here's my machine!

Got the frame almost finished. Gonna use 20 mm Hiwin linear slides.

Now, Gotta make the final decisions on the motion control. Thinking about 3/4" x 5 Acme leadscrews and 0 lash Supernuts.

For motors and drivers I am thinking about 600 in. oz. servos (500 cpr) and Gecko 340s. This should give me plenty of resolution at the single pulse per step rate and faster cutting speeds in the multistep mode (.00025" vs .0025"). Obviously a lot of other factors come into play regarding accuracy. But the drivers and motors area key factor, all other things being kept under a reasonable amont of control.

My goal is to be able to cut at high speeds at a modest resolution and high resolution at low speeds.

NC application will be Mach 2 and
    CAM app will be Visualmill to take laser scanned inputs and create 3D surface cutting routines.

Does this make sense?.... Comments... Suggestions????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic00027.jpg  

Nice!

Where does the z axis get fastened to? How large is the work envelope?

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Is your router based on plans from Campbell Designs? The frame looks familiar. You will not need very strong servo motors when they are running on ball bearing slides. Unless you plan to connect the motors at a direct drive. My 430 oz/in servo motors run my router with lots of power.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes, it is a Campbelldesigns machine. The envelope is 36x24x6. The Z axis carriage is not built yet, but will be mounted on the 3x3 bridge on top.

I am planning to run it direct drive as originally designed, but I am open to suggestions as noted in my initial post. The original uses 520 in. oz. steppers and maybe I should follow suit. My consideration of servo motion control is to be able to do full 3d surfacing as efficiently as possible.

Again, comments are certainly welcome.

Direct drive is fine. Steppers are also fine, but you will get much finer moves with servos and lots of power and top speed. Your description of the servos sounds like Camtronics servos. Dan has good products.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Jeff

Glad to see your comments on Dan's stuff. Dan is a heckuva nice fella to work with. Definitely knows his stuff.They do look like real fine, well thought out, and cleanly executed products. Your website gave me valuable insight as well. Really provided some good pics of Dans servo controller, that really clinched the sale for me.

Even in direct drive it looks like a Dan's big servo system will have a minimum resolution of .0002 with a 5 pitch leadscrew.

Looks like it is time to put the old Paypal to work!!!

Got my lead screw bearings and bearing blocks machined and assembled last night. Will machine the motor mounts for one axis tonight. Kinda ticklish since I don't have a mill. I got a faceplate clamps and a spring loaded pump center for the lathe though!

Thanks again

Mike Twombley

I am tring to make a list of things togather to get ready to build a cnc router. If I am wrong on anything please let me know. I am so impressed with all these cnc routers that I have to build one. I love wood working.

This is my list of items.

3 axis driver board
    3 stepper motors
    bazllest resistors
    cooling fan
    parallel port cable(DB25)
    stepper motor cable
    filter capacitor
    switches
    transformer

If anyone can help with this list I would appreciate it.

Some of that stuff can be bought as a package deal. Saves having to figure it all out.

See www.stepperworld.com, for example.

Check out Dan at Camtronics

http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/

He seems to have a well designed product line in a range of capacities, reasonably priced two. My 600 oz in. oz. servo controller and drives should come in at about 1300 dollars.

Customers are giving him good reviews on the quality of his product. My experience is, he gives good feedback and tehnical advice as well. Stepper world has good selection of hardware as well.

Jeff Davis at:
    www. Homecnc.info

has a very informative website and has posted to this thread a couple of times. I have gained a lot of insight there as well. I have a mill like his I want to convert once this first machine is complete.

Did some Business with OnlineMetals the other day. Pretty good source. Some prices werea little more than expected but some specialty stuff was killer priced, Great deal , fast service. Thumbs up!

Absolutely amazing how much is out there. Once ya start browsing around.

Twombo

Thank You very much for the info. I will check it out later. I am just trying to come up with a list so I can get everything right.

What is good software to use to control a cnc router. I want to be able to use mastercam to make the program, send the nc code to the router, is this posible? I am learning so I am trying to learn more about cnc routers. I am thinking of making a router with a cutting area of 24" x 24" x 12".

If in XP land I like Deskcnc (http://www.deskcnc.com )

For Dos you can use turbocnc (www.dakeng.com/turbo.html ) or Maxnc (www.maxnc.com)

Cheers!
    Paul Riedlinger
    Let the chips fall where they may...I'm not going to clean them up!

Yes Mastercam works. You may need to download a post proccesor. I think there is one for Turbocnc.

Eric

Jimmy keep an eye open for Mach 2. It is in beta stage now but it looks like it will be a real professional controller when done. I also use MasterCam and ArtCam. Untill Mach 2 is done I am using CNCPro now. I have modified a post in MasterCam to work nice with CNCPro. You can do the same for other controllers.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Thanks alot I will checkup on it.

project updattes

Too many projects too little time.

Got most all of the machining on the mechanism complete.

Rails and screws are complete and installed.

Built a stand to mount the machine on.

More detail to follow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA040920.JPG  

twombo -
    Gotta a quick question 9or 2) for ya:
    did you make your own sldies for the X axis? - or are they "stock" 80/20 or bosch or??? Do they feel tight? Any impression on how they will work? Been waiting to try some myself - just would like to have a reference before I head down that track - Thanks - cheers - Jim
    BTW NICE looking rig - like the set up - cool.
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

If you look close (or read his first post) It uses Hiwin (like THK) rails.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Yes. 20 mm LGH HiWins on x and y, 15mm THKs on Z.

Will get you the actual part numbers. Must clean up the spreadsheet and post it soon. I have complete cost figures.

3/4" drive screws with anti-backlash Supernuts on X and Y and 1/2" Supernuts on the Z. So far it seems very rigid. All 80/20 extrusions.
    If I build another, I'll buy em pre-machined.

God, there is a lot of wiring! I used to work on B-52 bombers, not that bad but close. I am making a full set of schematics and a parts breakdown to document this mess!! Working on the last wiring bits of a Camtronics Power supply equipped with Gecko 320s and 600 In.Oz servos. Next comes the sensor, spindle control, and servo motor/encoder wiring

The electronics is based on a Camtronics power supply with a Campbell Interface board. integrating the two is a little tedious but I like the proximity sensors and opto isolation circuits, not to mention the "charge pump" circuit. It should make a nice reliable and well protected system using Mach 2.

Trying to figure out how to fit the Grizzly dust collector system now.

All I wanted was a little little wooden sh*t house, and I have a minor league Taj Mahal!!!

Oops missed that - the Hiwin rails - 1st post was a while back and Totally missed that one! The latest image at 2 to 3x shows it better Thanks guys.
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Page 1 of 2 12