585,933 active members*
3,816 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UK newbie first build in progress

Hey all,

Just started my first build and have realised that it is MUCH harder than I thought! Been an absolute nightmare using MDF as it is not the best material to get holes perfect and using linear bearings it needs to be dead straight otherwise the gantry won't move smoothly. Have had to use mostly 25mm MDF as there was too much movement in anything thiner. Fortunately the place near me does upto 38mm which is handy.

One trick I used to get the holes perfect on both sides was to create a template on the pc, print it, then place on the mdf and use a pin to create a pilot hole.

Here is pic of my first build in progress:

Ugly looking thing I know but once finished I can hopefully use it to make a nicer one. Now all I have got to do is to figure out how to fit my ballscrews.

Anyone know of a better material to use instead of MDF or wood that is cheap and easy to use??

Thanks,

T.

Hi

Looking good so far.

You seem to have a high gantry which might lead to flexing, keep us posted on your progress .

Andy

Looking good...

Why dont both of you come and visit the UK CNC Community

Hi Irving

I am already a member

Hey all,

Yes the gantry was a little high as it was meant to be fixed a little lower but decided to made a new one

Now comes the complicated part of attaching the z axis.

Have just joined the other forum btw

Thanks,

T.

Looks like a really good first build to me. I'm building my first one too. X and Y I have under control, but Z is killing me. I really need to start a build thread.

Anyways, I was reading this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51485 and I think you may want to look into it. Great mods to do on your machine to get that rock solid gantry we all want. You also can apply it to other axis.

Hey all,

Thanks for your comments. I have now managed to get the gantry very stable although I am concerned that it is not dead square as this might cause problems once up and running will it not?

The thing I would like to know is that are there any other materials that people are using to make their first DIY build that are easy to obtain, cut and fix and I am really starting to hate MDF. Have done a few searches on the forum but haven't really come up with any results.

Thanks,

T.

I'm working with all metal. Using 1inch steel square extrusions. I'm also drilling my holes a size bigger to give me adjustment room when I need it.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...4&d=1231986189

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...5&d=1231986189

Quote Originally Posted by m2uk View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks for your comments. I have now managed to get the gantry very stable although I am concerned that it is not dead square as this might cause problems once up and running will it not?

The thing I would like to know is that are there any other materials that people are using to make their first DIY build that are easy to obtain, cut and fix and I am really starting to hate MDF. Have done a few searches on the forum but haven't really come up with any results.

Thanks,

T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steelcnc.jpg