585,743 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone using Mil-Tec Face Mills?

I'm looking for a face mill. This one is on special in the current KBC tool catalog and it looks like a good deal.

http://www.miltecusa.com/documents/F...tFlyer2007.pdf

The R8 version in 1.5" is $216.75 and includes ten inserts, a couple extra screws and wrenches and a nice case. Most of the inserts are around $9-$12 each and they have round, square & octagon that all fit the same body. Looks very complete but wanted to see if anyone has any personal experience using them.

Why not the Tormach Face Mill? Already setup for TTS and proven to work well.

David

Face mill

The Tormach tool is made by K-Tool, which is very similar. Both K-Tool and Mil-Tec use very good carbide and are free cutting, but the Mil-Tec deal is much better. Are you running a full size Bridgeport or a Tormach type mill? I ran a 3 flute, 1-5/8" cut (2" OD) Octamill like the Tormach cutter on a 3hp Taiwan Bridgeport knockoff and it would cut a mountain of steel. Compared to a cheap TPG style facemill, it was like supercharging the machine. Do NOT use endmill holders that extend the cutting edge from the bearing that will react the force. That will make your machine vibrate louder at .050" depth of cut than it would be at .150" depth of cut when you use a collet and choke up completely on the mill.

Dave

I'll be running aluminum and using the Tormach.

Thanks for the input guys. I'd really rather support Tormach all other things being equal. I wasn't sure if their face mill was the K-Tools part or not so thanks for clarifying that.

For the price difference, I think I'll go with David's suggestion and just support Tormach.

DIY Facemill

I recently purchased some of the TTS Machinable Blanks from Tormach. They are only $16.50 each. I also got some round carbide face mill inserts and retaining screws. It was pretty easy to mill pockets in the blank to make my own face mill. The blank is 39mm diameter (same as the 1.50 face mill) and the centers of my inserts are spaced 1.200 apart so it cuts a 1.200 wide flat.
    I have only tried cutting aluminum with it and it works well, although the aluminum started to build up on the face of the inserts. It might cut steel better.
    Len <><

I can't see leaving $100 on the table. That's about the difference isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by davereagan View Post
    I can't see leaving $100 on the table. That's about the difference isn't it?
    Assuming the inserts are $10 each.... yes it is around $100 for the R8 version with 1.5" head. The inserts are less expensive and there is a larger variety of them too.

I downloaded their entire catalog and I'll read through more information on the inserts. They probable have more options than I need or want.

I picked up 1 1/2 face mill from Iscar insert are $8/moded $10/polished
    The face mill works great HP F90AN-07 HELIPLUS 90° facemills using HP ANKT

For roughing I picked up a shreadmill that was a bit of money but it sure can rip FRW SHREDMILL-Rough Profiling Tools. [url]
    I would never spend the time to make one as I know I could never get the feeds and speeds you could run at...But for the hobbies why not as you don't really care about performance

HMB-
    Sounds like you have your machine up and running. Thats good news- what ever happened to the missing lathe?

I have had my machine up and running for over 2 years...it has paid for itseft 3 times over...I sold my monarch as I was not going to get inside before winter and I want a cnc lathe...also made about $500 ptofit on the sale

Quote Originally Posted by LENS_CAD View Post
    I recently purchased some of the TTS Machinable Blanks from Tormach. They are only $16.50 each. I also got some round carbide face mill inserts and retaining screws. It was pretty easy to mill pockets in the blank to make my own face mill. The blank is 39mm diameter (same as the 1.50 face mill) and the centers of my inserts are spaced 1.200 apart so it cuts a 1.200 wide flat.
    I have only tried cutting aluminum with it and it works well, although the aluminum started to build up on the face of the inserts. It might cut steel better.
    Len <><
    It is a great idea but I'm looking for something for a high-end finish and I'm willing to pay a couple hundred bucks for the experience the tool makers have in getting them right. I figure the devil is in the details and while I could experiment and build the tool, my time is worth more than what it would save me.

Ok... I bought the 1" version in the 3/4" shank size which I can convert to TTS. It included the ten inserts for cutting aluminum and was only $127 with the body. That is about the same price as just getting ten inserts and you get the body, case & extra screws etc...

I also bought the Little Giant NK-2 for my home-made coolant tank which was on sale.