585,712 active members*
4,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant through on a manual tailstock?

Background: I have some Cleveland coolant through HSS drill bits and am holding them in a MT3 ER32 Collet chuck which has a coolant hole at the back. I am using this to drill a 21/32 hole in 1020 Steel and 304 SS on my 13x40 gear head MSC lathe and would really really like to use either air or coolant if possible. I have a coolant setup on the lathe but of course spraying it into the hole just makes a huge mess. If I could use the coolant holes already in my drills I think it'd really help me up productivity.

My question: Can I some how get air or coolant into the tail stock so I can extend tool life?

Thanks in advance. I am 20 years old and just starting out. I am also trying to get a Hurco KMB-1 3-axis CNC up and running both of my machines are in my garage.

Is there enough space between the tailstock and the collet to tap a small pipe thread into the side the of the taper? Alternatively just drill a small hole and push in a small tube or make a small hose nipple to press in.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hmm, good question. Right now I am using an MT2 taper in a MT3 sleeve because that's all the American seller had. When I get the MT3 ones from Hong Kong I'll check where it sits in the tail stock.

i would try to keep the adapter sleeve and turn it into a coolant adapter.

you probably dont want to push coolant into the interior of the spindle

if th ecollet chuck has a coolant hole in back you could plug it and add a side hole you can plumb coolant into

I'll keep that in mind but I am not drilling through holes so the coolant would go out flutes on to the pan and into the coolant return.