585,748 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Gecko and Xylotex

Why is Gecko drives winning the speed race with Xylotex?

Is it just the higher voltage, less current,decreasing the effect of self-inductance of the stepper, leading to higher RPM ? Or is it a different type of drive...

I think the Gecko's are a higher quality of the same type controller. Lots more features. Higher volts and amp rates, which equates to stronger faster. Resonance dampening automatically in Gecko's which in itself would give you better performance with the same low voltage motors.
    Both have great customer service. Both will get the job done on small machines. The Xylotex may be a little easier to connect, but has no safety features. The 540 and 203V's are near bullet proof. I have wounded a few 203's though but by switching the DC side of the power supply and the supply was near the voltage limit for the 203's.
    I killed a Xylotex 3 axis as well. Everything was repaired or replaced at no cost.

Final statement. The Gecko's have more flexibility, so I consider them a better value.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Boudreau View Post
    Why is Gecko controller winning the speed race with Xylotex?

Is it just the higher voltage, less current,decreasing the effect of self-inductance of the stepper, leading to higher RPM ? Or is it a different type of controller...
    Different type of drive. Sure, higher voltage will let you go faster, but the Gecko has mid band resonance compensation. If you read the thread on home built dampers, you'll see that dampers that eliminate resonance can double the speed of a Xylotex. The Gecko's don't need them. Also, at higher speeds, Gecko's morph into a full step drive, which delivers more torque.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gecko bestter xylotec