585,761 active members*
4,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Looking for the right Coolant

Looking for the right Coolant

Hey Guys, Here's our problem, we run three haas vmc's and we run a lot of aluminum, 6061, 7075, and a lot of Cast Aluminum. We machine a lot of hydraulic manifolds with a lot of custom holes with port and cavity holes. Surface finish is a must with these manifolds and threads are critical also. Currently we are having to use Tap Magic on a lot of these manifolds for tapping and we are tired of it. We have tried SimCool, Valenite, Oak Flow, and SealCool with all of the same sucess. #6 - 7/16 holes are typicaly cut tapped or thread formed and these are the ones we have the most problems with. Currently we are using SealCool 9229?! I think at a 8-10% on the refracto. Does anyone have a suggestion of some coolant to try? We where going to try Blazer but the rep in our area got the boot and know we have noone... Thanks in advance for the help.

Josh

Valenite used to get ther VNT 700 from Cincinnnati Milicron. We developed a liking for teh CM stuff and went back to them direct. IT is good for both lathe, mill and grinding. We usea recommend concentration for grinding, the concetration for lathe or mill work is a bith higher. No problems with smell, no issues with rancidness. IT is pricey at over 20 dollars a gallon inf 5 gal pails. If you liked VMT700 w/ or w/o blue dye, you'll like this. If you call Cincinnnatie, they can figure out what the stuff is called.

Try drilling the hole .002-.005 over depending on your tolerance. Also on Aluminum try a spiral flute tap. As for coolant we use Trim C275 at 5% Call them and tell them your application they are very helpful.

master chemical

MC

I would recomend Castrol Syntilo 9913. This coolant is aproved by Boeing for use on areospace aluminum and aerospace alloys. I went thru several types of coolant before finding this one and finally getting good results on multiple materials. VNT 700 turn to crap after a short while and was not too good on tapping. Hangsterfers S500 was better, Still turned to crap after 3 months and while better on tapping, still had much to be desired. Went to Castrol Syntilo 9954 as at the time we did lots of tool steel. This worked GREAT on steels and aluminum as long as the aluminum was not in contact with it for more than 5 or 10 minutes. Then the aluminum would start to stain. We then went to Castrol Syntilo 9913 because we got into a big staining problem on 6061 aluminum. The 9954 was not chemically designed for use with aluminum and our cycle time on the parts were 2.5 hours each with tons of small details. After talking to reps from castrol and to chemist at their industrial headquarters we came to the conclusion that 9913 would be by far the best bet for my application. I have been using this since I think september and it is great. I do not run a bubbler in the tank and just use destilled water to refill the tank and get it back to 8 to 10 % . It even sat for almost a month with no use at all while we were designing a machine and over the holidays and when I fired it back up the coolant had no bad smell at all. This was a first for me. Also as you probably already know, you get what you pay for and this stuff is prime rib! In the end it ends up cheaper because it does not seem to ever need replacing and very minor maintainence.

BTW. Looked up the price for Castrol Syntilo 9913 in Sept. 08 was $323.00 for a 5 gallon pail. you also have to go thru a castrol distributer to get it. Guess its expensive partly because it is Boeing stuff and also that it is full synthetic. Again, this is by far the best stuff that I have found to date. Supposedly Castrol Hysol MB 50 is really good too and cost half as much. It is semi synthetic and needs a bit more care. I have never used it but from what I hear it has great corosion protection and can be used on mixed metal apps.

i have been using liquid ice since i bought my machine,i run 100 percent aluminum and i am sincerely impressed with this coolant,our parts have a bright shiny appearance to them and our tapping load never exceed 20 percent spindle load

great company and great people running it http://www.liquidicecoolant.com

tim
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

MILL THOSE THREADS!:wee:

TRIM C320 is what I use.

The blazer works great for me in alum titanium brass steel stainless you could call the company and they could hook you up with phone number of who to contact good luck Mike

I have used multiple coolants and I have never found one that is perfect. I've used Blaser straight oil (really messy, wouldn't reccomend it), Blaser semi-synthetic(can't remember the name), Hangsterfers NeoSol 400 (Best performing coolant I have seen to date but had some stink problems that forced me to switch), Twin Specialties Super Kool 1000, Rustlick Ultracut 375R, and a few more that aren't worth mentioning. I recommend NeoSol 400 because it was the best coolant I have seen, it increased our tool life and surface finish was never a question but once that coolant goes rancid it is god awful and we tried everything so we eventually had to switch. Most coolants are very similar and there are hundreds of brands so its all preference.

I'm happy with hangsterfers products, and they have been verry helpful with product selection for different materials. I cut alot of high temp nickel based alloys, Aluminum, hardened steels, etc.
    No matter which product you use, keep it clean!!! Don't use tapmagic or any hydrocarbons in your machines. Don't spray w-d on the table to prevent rust, as the coolant will protect it. When changing coolant out, thouroughly clean the entire system out. I put my pump in a bucket of clean water and run the coolant pump untill I can see clean water shooting out the nozzles.( put another bucket on the table to catch the old stuff )

Really good stuff ! Hangsterfers

Been using this for 2 years, I love it.
    http://www.hangsterfers.com/products.htm
    Call them for recommendations on what's best for your application.

I've had very good luck with TRIM® MicroSol® 685. It doesn't dirty up the inside of our VF-3SS. The only thing I personally don't like about it is that it tends to dry out my hands. Other than that it is an excellent product. By the way. We run almost 99% aluminum castings. Both sand and die cast.

www.fuchs.com hands down the best out there

I have been using Liquid Ice as well. Failry impressed. We have just installed a new DI water system to fill the macines with because before, the water was too hard and was staining 7000 series aluminum... Basically the staining comes from the copper in the 7 series al acting like an anode to the steel vise, resulting in galvanic corrosion. Its absolutley essential that you run a high purity DI water in your system for best results...

I have 2 5 gallon pals coming tomorrow of the Castrol Syntilo 9913, I will test for a couple months to see if I like it better than the Liquid Ice.

Trim C350 here.

Sits for months, no stink.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timmydabull View Post
    i have been using liquid ice since i bought my machine,i run 100 percent aluminum and i am sincerely impressed with this coolant,our parts have a bright shiny appearance to them and our tapping load never exceed 20 percent spindle load

great company and great people running it Machine Tool Industrial Lubricants | Coolants | Liquid Ice

tim
    I'm considering giving Liquid Ice a try for my new Haas TM-3P. Going to be cutting 6061 and plastic only. Spoke with the reps and they have advised on which one (HPX) is the best for my application. I'd be curious to know if you still use it and are happy with it's performance? and specifically, have you had any issues with it peeling paint of the mill or any other rusting issues?

--Warren

Megagreen 400 from condat...it has cut down my tooling 210-235%...dermatitis is almost non existent...lubricity seperates the oil and has copper bass for low bac levels if...cut with veg oil so enviromentally safe...keep 6 on refrac...work in 120 degree shop with over 40 1200 and 1600 danley presses in over 400,000 sq foot facility....i only add btween 3 and 6 five gallon buckets of water a week and have had in vf3 vf5 and vs7