585,712 active members*
4,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss8 RS232 communication

After having tried for so much time now, I think I will get crazy.

I do need this machine to work.
    I had to sell two VMC with Fanuc control for a reorganisation now I am left with the R2E3 that I am not able to connect to.

I need to make more complecated part.

Just to explain I worked in the past on many project involving serial communication and I never had problem with that.
    reading the post here and the manuals I still have a lot of questions unanswered.

I also seen that a lot of peoples have problems with communication on this machine.

So maybe if we could make a complete tour of the question?

I have some and maybe other have some also.

Cable: Could we have the exact configuration for the AMP to the DB9?
    Port A and Port B: what is the exact difference?
    Do we realy need to communicate in old tru DOS?
    I already use my laptop to comunicate with my Fanuc 6T turning center?

What is the exact syntax in either case for upload ,download and DNC?

Is theres a way to set the parameter in the control (other than baud rate)?

Maybe some of the machines had comunication as an option?
    Do you know if they were prone to had bad problem with the communication board?.

Any tought on the subject could be much apreciated.

Regard

Erik

Erik,

I had this machine years ago when I started out. I have Bridgeport software, Cable and all the info you will need to get a pc hooked up to it.

And yes, you will need a working version of DOS 6.2

You either have to use it through the Windows DOS prompt. Or what I would say to do is get an old computer that nobody wants. One with Win98 will work fine. And set it up as a slave to the R2D2. Thats what I did, works perfect. Reply to this and I can help you out for a small fee.

By the way, you must have this software to communicate with the Boss 8. The cable is special as well. BP wired it backwards on purpose to screw up guys like you and me. I went through it 14 years ago, I know.

JT

Hi Erik,

Your cnc programs need to be numbered, not named. The lowest number you can use is 15000.txt and if my poor memory is correct 68000.txt is the largest number you can use.

Try to get a copy of Bridgeport bulletin number seven, it has the instruction you need for BOSS eight communication.

Someone here should be able to "chime" in with a copy.

Jim

Jim,

Never heard of that naming protocol you speak of.

With the Bridgeport Com. software you can name it anything you want, as long as DOS accepts the name and you mark it a .txt file.

So, if you had a job called pivot rod, you can write your code in DOS EDIT, and at the end, Save it as: pivotrod.txt

The Boss 8 does not have this restriction that you speak of. The only main protocol is to use a 4 digit alpha-numeric sequence followed by a :

So at the top of the program type: 1234:

Then write your code, save it as a filename you will know and store it in the directory for that customer. That's it.

On older Boss controls you may be right, but not on Boss 8.

JT

EAF board did the RS232 communication on this machine.
    Port A did Rs232 with upload, download, editing etc. I used procomm or EZUTLS from EZCAM with are DOS based. Pins 6, 7, 8.
    Port A also did 20ma current loop as used with teletypes.The machine was made when both were in use. pins 1,2,3,4.
    Pin 5 is shield.
    Port B was for EZLINK only. Bridgeport proprietary communication software. Baud fixed at 4800 baud.
    These settings not variable: 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, no parity, X on and X off enabled. Send email address for tech bulletin for Boss8 communication.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi John,
    Found your post to be very intriguing. I started my CNC education on a Bridgeport V2Xt, computer and floppy disk for program transfer. Then added a BOSS 8 machine with old laptop (Win 95) and EZ-Link.

With the V2xt I can load a program named like your example pivotrod.txt No problem.

But when I use the BOSS 8 mill and EZ-File, I select “Load from remote” at mill control panel. LCD on mill then prompts me to key in program name. How do I enter the letter “p” (first letter of program name) from the BOSS 8 key pad?

I had BOSS 8 machine for a least a month before I could get a program loaded into it. Once I found and started using 1500.txt - 6800.txt for program names the programs started loading every time.

Will go through BOSS 8 manuals and try to find the info on program numbering.

I sure would like to get away from using numbers to I.D. programs, I have to keep a cheat sheet that cross references number to file name and it’s a big pain in the you know what.

Thanks, Jim.

Boss 8 sequence

Jim,

I think you just have the sequence wrong. Any maybe a bit confused about the BOSS 8

I got rid of my R2D2 (R2E3) six years ago, so I am a bit rusty. I took a few miniutes today for you and loaded LDEZLINK into my system to help jog my memory.

First, forget about keying any program name into the BOSS 8 control. That is where you are having your first problem.

Run and set up LDEZLINK first. Then,
    (this is where my memory is a bit cloudy)

Set the control to receive the program. If it asks for a filename just press execute and it should load from the PC.

If not type in the 4 digit program code from the top of your program and press execute.

In fact, as I type this, my memory is returning. That's it, set LDEZLINK, type in the 4 digit program number in at the control and press execute. But something still tells me that you do not have to type the 4 digit program number, you just have to set the control to receicve and press execute.
    I can't remember what mode you have to be in. Either edit or MDI but since you still run this setup you should know.

Let me be clear.

The BOSS 8 requires a colon : and a 4 digit program number at the very top of the program followed by a semi colon.

:1234; After a semi colon all data is ignored, use for tool names and notes
    G0G90X0.0Y0.0
    ETC.
    ETC.
    M22

This is how the control reconizes the top of the program. The BOSS 8 can only store 1 program at a time. Well, you can put more than one in but it's very dangerous. Don't do it, use it for one program at a time.

The :1234; is just for the control's purpose. You could use :1234; for every program you ever wrote. It's how you name them in DOS is what counts for your memory and orginization of part programs.

So lets say you do work for GE.

Directory name GE
    Part program name pivotrod.txt

TRY THIS.

1. Run LDEZLINK
    2. Press F1
    3. Type directory path - C:\GE (ENTER)
    4. Type filename - pivotrod.txt (ENTER)
    5. Select remote load (ENTER)
    6. Press F3 Run

Now go over to the control and just set it to receive and press execute. This should work. If it doesn't, and the control asks for :

EX.
    :

Type 1234 (EXECUTE) one of these methods should work.

Again the BOSS needs to see a : followed by a 4 digit number to reconize the program. You have been "getting away" with your other method because the control is somewhat slack on it's protocol. On a FANUC it must see O and a 4 digit number or it will alarm out. This is BP's idea stolen from Fanuc. instead of a O it's a :
    The DOS filename does not matter. As long as the filename is a max 8 characters long not including .txt extention

I know this will work, try it out and get back to me! And don't forget your pal JohnnyTurn, and send me some work!

JT

check the following link

I recently made a cable configuration pinout DB9 To AMP for a R2E3 bridgeport, and upload a picture of the pinout. check the images forun or this link:
    http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=5574