585,708 active members*
3,779 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Convert Gcode units

I have a DXF file which is in inches, I use IMSI TurboCAD V8 which to my knowledge will not convert a drawing in inches to a drawing in MM.

I import the drawing into Vetric Cut2D in inch units, and again I do not believe that Cut2D can convert inches to MM.

I produce the required paths with Cut2D and export then to Mach3 in a txt file.

My problem is that Mach3 was set up in MM and if I change it to inches it screws up the Motor tuning. I have found that if you start Mach3 in mm mode then change it to inches it will work but you have to remember to shut it down in mm then change it back when you re start.

Is there a simple program that would convert the Gcode?

I could write on but why re invent the wheel if there is a good one out there.

Nick

There's probably a G20 in the g-code. Change it to G21. Make sure to change all of them if there are more than one

Or

In TurboCAD, there should be a scale command. Scale the drawing by a factor of 25.4, and it'll be in mm's.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry for such a simple solution, I will scale the original drawing by 25.4 and import the CAD file as mm.

So simple!

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by NickAshton View Post

I import the drawing into Vetric Cut2D in inch units, and again I do not believe that Cut2D can convert inches to MM.

I produce the required paths with Cut2D and export then to Mach3 in a txt file.

Is there a simple program that would convert the Gcode?

Nick
    Hi Nick,

There's no need to change the units / size of the design to mm because Cut2D will take care of this automatically for you.

Open the DXF and work in Inches > Calculate the required Toolapths

Save using the Mach2/3 Arcs (mm) (*.txt) pp and the output will be correct for opening in Mach3 configured in metric.

I hope this helps,

Tony

That is an interesting one, I hadn't noticed that Cut2d had the mm and inch versions for Mach3, I will try it out. Thanks.

I have for now scaled the original by 25.4 as suggested by Gerry and that is working well.

Nick