584,802 active members*
4,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Yaskawa DR2 servopack made with RS422/485 interface
Page 1 of 3 123

Yaskawa DR2 servopack made with RS422/485 interface

Hello all,

I have some Yaskawa DR2 servopacks. User's manual details DR2 types made with 50pin 1CN connector. My servopacks are made with only 20pin 1CN connector. Yaskawa TS says these servopacks are special types and they not able give me useable information about it. Only I know my servopacks are made with some kind of RS422 or RS485 interface, but I need more details about this communication. How to change direction, how long are the bytes to send.etc.
    If you have already programmed simular servopack please help.
    Thanks in advance: Grubma

Hi Grubma,

Were you able to solve your DR2 servopack problems?

I also have some DR2-08AC-NY41 servopack and Yaskawa tech advised that these are special OEM servopacks that are network drives and they cannot provide any details of its operation.

The 1CN connector also has 20 pins instead of the standard 50 pins connector for the standard DR2 servopack.

I wired up the 2CN encoder connector, power supply, connected the ac servo motor UVW, and a special serial connector from 3CN to PC computer. Run SigmaWin+ and tried to establish communication but the software cannot recognize the servopack.

Can you tell me if you tried any other solutions to make this work?

Thanks,
    WT

Yaskawa use the modbus protocol - you will need the manual to set up the correct comm parameters eg: baud rate, parity, station number, data length and stop bits. The yaskawa drives are the same as the omron sigma drives.
    Check that these settings correspond with the settings in sigmawin.

you can download the manual here:
    http://www.artisan-scientific.com/in...DR2_Manual.pdf

edit: If the drive has only RS 422 , you will need a 422 - RS 232 converter.

Thanks for the info. I have the same DR2 servopack manual and it is for the standard Yaskawa DR2 servopack.

Unluckily, Yaskawa technical support has confirmed that the DR2-08AC-NY41 series servopack I have is a special OEM network drive series that runs on network connection controller from the OEM machine manufacturer.

The standard DR2 1CN connector has 50 pins while the one I have is 20 pins. I used a special made cable to connect the drive's 3CN to PC computer and it did communicate with the drive but simply do not recognize it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    WT

The PC software will see the drive, but if the protocol is incorrect it will not communicate.

If you unplug the comms cable and try to connect, do you get the same error message?

If the comm cable is disconnected, and if I try to connect online, then it says servopack not found.

My cable is working on Com1 RS232.

Is the protocol: 9600,1,7,1,1(even)

Yes, the communication protocol is:
    9600 bps
    1 start bit
    7 data bits
    1 stop bit
    Though I made the mistake of turning on XON/XOFF control.

Do you think this will make a difference?

Yes, it will make a difference, it must be off.
    Sync. must be start/stop as well.

Ah, thanks for info. It is utterly stupid of me to commit that mistake

In my frustration, I cut off the temporary soldered wire between motor encoder and 2CN. Got to resolder and try it again.

I intend to run the servopack in Position Control (Pulse + Sign) mode using Mach3 software controller to run a cnc mill retro.

Presuming I can have SigmaWin+ recognize the servopack, how do I go about connecting the steps and direction pulses from computer parallel port (that's how Mach3 runs) to connect to the Servopack considering that there is no documentation of the 1CN 20 pins?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

To connect, you can also try this program.

The I/O may be a problem. Does the motor lock when you switch on?
    Try 7 & 8 for pulse and 11 & 12 for direction.
    To find the input for "servo on" measure with your meter - you should measure the opto coupler diodes for the inputs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I tested the servopack with the PC using both SigmaWin+ and SVMon but still no luck. Double checked all the connections and the result is still the same.

I guess this servopack really works differently from the standard DR2 servopack.

It is a pity these DR2-08AC-NY41 servopack and SGM-08AAF-J12 servomotor cannot be used for my purpose. They came out of a semiconductor company's recently scrapped machines and are dirt cheap.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,
    WT

If you can get the drawings for the machine, maybe you can still use the drive.
    It probably has a different firmware version.
    Otherwise,the motor can still be used with a VFD for another application.

Edit: Did you go through all the station numbers 1-4

I cannot get any drawings for the machine as it was scrapped by the semiconductor company that closed down. I did went thru all station numbers but still not recognized by the SigmaWin+.

You are saying that the AC Servomotor SGM-08AAF-J12 can be used with a VFD? How? This will be very interesting if I can use it that way.

Will any VFD run this AC Servomotor?

Set the VFD output voltage the same as the servo. If your drive has vector control turn it on and do a no load auto tune. Also remember that servos are multi pole motors, so you will have to use a high frequency - start with 400hz as maximum voltage frequency and monitor the current consumption.

Can you provide some websites or links on how to drive ac servo motors with VFD?

I want to read up more on this before actually hooking up a VFD to ac servo motor as I have read somewhere in other CNCZone threads that they were not successful in doing this.

Take a look to this link. Here you have all the manuals and software.
    http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmservo....=1000&Expand=9
    I think there is a dos sofware communicaction too, first try with the data in the link.
    Carlos

Carlos,

Thanks for trying to help. I have been to that site already and downloaded all relevant files.

However, as I have said already, the Yaskawa technical service support group had advised me that this DR2 is an OEM non-standard servopack network drive and they cannot provide any relevant info.

I need someone who has actually worked on this particular series and can provide the 1CN connector pin outs for proper connection.

Again, my thanks.
    WT

1CN pinout

Hello Carlos,

I'm sorry for late reply.
    You can find 1CN and 2CN pinout below.
    Every second DR2 servopack was made with 20 pin connector, but Yaskawa TS not able to give user's manual about this "very old and special" type of servopack...
    I stil don't know too much about modbus, but I think it will be difficult to find out at which addresses to find the corresponding registrers.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCQuest View Post
    Carlos,

Thanks for trying to help. I have been to that site already and downloaded all relevant files.

However, as I have said already, the Yaskawa technical service support group had advised me that this DR2 is an OEM non-standard servopack network drive and they cannot provide any relevant info.

I need someone who has actually worked on this particular series and can provide the 1CN connector pin outs for proper connection.

Again, my thanks.
    WT
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Grubma View Post
    Hello Carlos,

I'm sorry for late reply.
    You can find 1CN and 2CN pinout below.
    Every second DR2 servopack was made with 20 pin connector, but Yaskawa TS not able to give user's manual about this "very old and special" type of servopack...
    I stil don't know too much about modbus, but I think it will be difficult to find out at which addresses to find the corresponding registrers.
    Hi Grubma,

Thanks for the 1CN and 2CN pinouts drawing.

Can you tell me where you were able to get these pinouts drawing and maybe I can download the more complete manual for that?

Were you successful in making connection between 3CN and your computer thru SigmaWin+ (or SVMon) softwares?

Hopefully, together, we can find a solution to make these non-standard DR2 servopack works.

Thanks in advance,
    WT

Page 1 of 3 123