585,948 active members*
3,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant Pump Question

Ok guys, this might sound stupid but I guess that's exactly what I'm trying to find out. I'd like to build my own flood coolant system for my mill but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it. It seems like the biggest expense would be the pump itself. Here's where the crazy part comes in...

While cleaning something in my parts washer the other day I noticed it has a pump that I never use. It's even got a filter and the flexible metal nozzle for the discharge and everything. I'm guessing that a pump which can be used with flammable liquids can also be used for machine coolants. Is this true? I'm thinking about fastening it to the inside of a 5-gallon bucket for the sump. Would there be any problems doing this?

Depends on what the capacity of the pump is. I read on one of the forums that someone bought a parts wash tank with a pump built in from Harbor Freight and used it for their cooling system. Sounds like your set up.

I based my design on what Hoss did on his:
    http://www.hossmachine.info/projects...lood%20coolant

The 900 GPH pump is now discontinued, but I found a 1000 GPH pump that looks like it should work:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...2-956&catname=

Here is a link for the Loc-Line:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#loc-line-coolant-hose/=bvl4c

By the time I got the stand built, the pump, and all the plumbing, I probably had around $100-$150 into the setup.

I built my setup not quite a year ago and it has been running perfectly!

I saw a thread here about using a parts washer pump but I cannot find it.

Mike

Thanks for all of the info guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and give it a try with my parts washer pump. I don't need a lot, just a little dribble will be enough. I'll try to post some pictures when/if I get it setup.

On mine, I used a pump out of an ice machine. Worked great UNTIL.... until it got a large piece of swarf caught between the impeller and the case (all plastic of course). I was able to piece it back together for a while, but got to thinking. I have a cnc here, why not Make one! So a little time on cad and using the original as ideas, I came up with a casing made out of pvc pipe coupling, some derlin that I had laying around and aluminum for the impeller. Been working fine for a couple of years now! It is based on a "pedestal " design and keeps the motor above liquid level. Cost nil, fun priceless.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)