584,861 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 11 123

CNCBrain users

I think it would be a good idea for those that have the Brain to post here. If you have it running, shout out. Oem guys, we would welcome any input from you as well.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Apparently not many have it running?
    It still seems to be a product in the works?
    I would very much like to see some feed back from a user or integrator.
    I was originally under the impression that the Brain was going to close the PID loop? This would take the burden off the drives and allow the use of non-intelligent drives with analogue control, which apparently is now extra to implement?
    Extra electronics required for differential encoders?
    Also it appears that break out box of some kind is required for I/O and encoders etc.
    I originally assumed this would be an almost self contained CNC controller, Unless I have it wrong?
    The web page for the Brain still seems to have problems with Firefox so it is hard to get a true picture of the full specifications and features.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Apparently not many have it running?
    It still seems to be a product in the works? Al it is true that individual users don't seem to be out there, but there are some oem/retrofitters that have it running.....they just don't seem to want to give any info out. I know because I have ask!
    I would very much like to see some feed back from a user or integrator.
    I was originally under the impression that the Brain was going to close the PID loop? This would take the burden off the drives and allow the use of non-intelligent drives with analogue control, which apparently is now extra to implement?
    Extra electronics required for differential encoders?
    Also it appears that break out box of some kind is required for I/O and encoders etc. The Brain Box itself has all the connectors needed for encoders, and some i/o, but as to how many i/o, I can't answer. I know there is a hidden panel of pins that are on the inside of the box that can be accessed
    I originally assumed this would be an almost self contained CNC controller, Unless I have it wrong?
    The web page for the Brain still seems to have problems with Firefox so it is hard to get a true picture of the full specifications and features.
    Al.

I wish I could give you better answers, but I am still at the trying to get really long linear scales set up.

Mike

With all due respect to how busy Bruce and his team are right now, It would be great if he could answer some very basic questions people have. I posted on the CNCBrain forum but have no answers yet. I'm beginning to wonder if there is just not going to be enough support for this product moving forward.

Al, I have the same question regarding the I/O section and VFD control. To me that's the deal maker or breaker. Here is my question copied from the forum:

I have some simple questions regarding I/O setup.

To start, I have several things I want to control with the CNCBrain.

-Mist
    -Flood
    -VFD
    -Oil (lubrication for ways and screws)
    -Solenoid air brake
    -Solenoid shive gear change

All of these I can trigger using separate relays.

Now, is there a way I can add more relay control triggers into the software to control the above? These would be similar functions to mist and flood options.

Is this something that anyone can add to the software or do you need to be a programmer to do this?

Also, can I control the speed of a VFD from the CNCBrain or do I need a DAC board to interface it?

Thanks for your help

If you look under the input output video it gives a fair explanation of how to set up I/O. There are two db25 ports on the front of the Brain Box that emulate regular parallel ports. If you watch the video on IO it gives an explanation and you would wire up your IO's to that port just like any other DB25 port. If you feel that a BB is necessary that would be up to you. You could use a very simple BB that is exactly that and nothing more. And yes, a relay would still need to be used for a variety of add-ons since the Brain's port is simply emulating a DB25 and does not have relays or anything else built in. The software already has controls for this stuff built in but if you wanted, you could add any functionality that is not there already with some programming. But for everything basic (and a lot of complex stuff) it is already in the software.

The VFD I don't know about hardware wise, but software wise there are provisions for spindle setup.

Also, there are no issues with my Firefox/Navigator/Safari at all. The webpage displays perfectly fine.

Hi pzzamakr1980,

Thanks for the info. I have watched the videos over and over and there are still details that are a bit vague as far as setup goes. I have the general idea though.

Regarding the I/O out for relays, how easy it is to assign extra I/O out functions to the extra pins that are on the board ? For instance, if I wanted two separate 'coolant' buttons.

Just out of curiosity what would be the point of a breakout board connected to the CNCBrain? What does it solve?

The site works for me with Firefox but I do have some overlap of the menu items.

With two seperate DB25 pinout you have many pins that are setup automatically as an out that will trigger a relay when activated.

The BB board would be useful if you didnt want to have the hassle of soldering a connector with all of the extra stuff you might add such as coolant, mist, etc. The BB would allow you to just screw the wire into the terminal on the BB and remove it anytime you wanted.

Seems like an update is in order here......
    Things sure seem quiet on the CNC Brain, although I assume there are doings in the background.....

dk

Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    I wish I could give you better answers, but I am still at the trying to get really long linear scales set up.
    Mike
    But how accurate can those scales be ? Anything with a belt is not accurate.

A steel rack mounted on the machine would be better. And a calibration correction table in SW would help with linearity.
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Any updates?
    It's awfully quiet in here lately.

:stickpoke

I guess I'm surprised at how things dropped off the cliff.
    Without some word of development progress it seems like things have been abandoned. I only takes a couple minutes to post a few words and news even once a week....

Then again, I was at an auction yesterday, and a 1996 Mazak VMC (24 tools, 20HP, about 18x16x18 travels) fully functional and powered up, went for $5500.....
    Hard to buy motors and drives and hardware for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    But how accurate can those scales be ? Anything with a belt is not accurate.

A steel rack mounted on the machine would be better. And a calibration correction table in SW would help with linearity.
    Hi Larken,

The accuracy of the belts as opposed to the rack is the belts teeth mesh with much more contact area than a rack and pinion. The accuracy is a combination of the large contact area and the accuracy of your rotary encoder used to read the tics while being driven with the belts.

kmcwhq did you buy that Mazak? I would love to find one that had a 40" table that someone wanted to give away!:banana: I mean, if I am going to dream, I might as well dream big!

Mike

No I did not buy the Mazak......a 20-something bought it.
    He kept calling it a "CN" machine (not CNC).
    Said his brother "ran CN machines before and they wanted to have one to play with"....

No clue.....

Maybe the guy had spanish roots, its not uncommon to hear CN here in Argentina, it means Control Numerico (the NC part in CNC)

I also miss Bruce's frequent updates, I recall threading was promised to be released soon and that was around november if Im not confused...

Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by peu View Post
    Maybe the guy had spanish roots, its not uncommon to hear CN here in Argentina, it means Control Numerico (the NC part in CNC)
    Well, he was Amish actually......

Quote Originally Posted by peu View Post
    I also miss Bruce's frequent updates, I recall threading was promised to be released soon and that was around november if Im not confused...Pablo
    Perhaps Fanuc has bought him off?? And he's living in the Bahamas now, retired and ralaxing on the white sandy beaches???

:drowning:

Perhaps someone can call Bruce and get an update, post it here for all to read??

Turmite....was it you that was looking to become a dealer for the product?? Have you had contact with Bruce lately?

Quote Originally Posted by kmcwhq View Post

Perhaps Fanuc has bought him off?? And he's living in the Bahamas now, retired and ralaxing on the white sandy beaches???

:drowning:
    You want conspiracy theories, I have 2x1 special today :rainfro:

[conspiracy mode on]
    Fanuc (General Electric) don't need to purchase his product, they could just hire Bruce for a long .GOV contract... they accomplish the same with a loss less money plus they get his talent to do some actual work...
    [conspiracy mode off]

Please don't take me seriously, I'm patiently waiting too

Pablo

Ya that would be me, but that is on hold till some stability happens. I have talked with Bruce very little since he started his job. I have posted this once before, but will do so again. Bruce has three projects he was developing at once, with the Brain being central since it was used in the other two. Once finished, the projects will make up the needed equipment to make a "factory of one". One person running multiple machines to produce real products at an unbelievable price, and be able to produce those parts fairly inexpensively.

Now the rest is conjecture, since he has not spoken the exact words into the ph or by email.

Bruce had a lot of time and money tied up with these three projects, and I know from personal experience r&d gets real expensive real quick. Nothing coming in and everything still needing to go out $$$ wise. Based on my own experience, I have deduced that Bruce had to take the job at the government lab in Eastern Tenn......rather than want to take the job. He gave me a ballpark of what it would do for him and his family......trust me, I would have jumped at an opportunity like that.

Here is what I know from what he has told me.

1. A new software release is almost done.....the only time frame has past.
    2. An industrial version is planned, but the conversation was some time ago, and I don't remember all the details..cost is going to be something like $1200.
    3. The Mach plugin is not going to happen for the forseeable future based on the amount of support that will be required
    4. A support team is being assembled for in house support
    5. More than one warm body is now on the ground at Safeguard, doing projects other than programming.
    6. Robotic assembly is being developed and tested
    7. The low cost kevlar string linear scale is on hold till the new laser is in house.
    8. There several new and exciting announcements coming from other developers working with either the Brain or the software.....i.e, new screens etc.
    9. Not Brain related, but a major breakthru on one of the other projects was made that will allow total in house manufacturing, but I was sworn to secrecy on this one.

I hope that helps some. It is just as bad on me as it is on everyone else. If you haven't looked on the Safeguard forums there has been some activity there in the past couple of weeks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reminding us about how busy he is. Hopefully he will be finishing his update soon for all the people who purchased the Brain and are having issues. I don't blame him for taking a Govt project, the money probably makes the Brain look like spare change at this point.

I for one couldn't wait any longer and recently ended getting a C23 BOB and a SS. I was REALLY excited when the Brain was announced but a lot of time has gone by with slow progress...and I just needed to get my machine up a running quickly.

For those of you with more patience than me, good luck. I'm excited to see some video of your mills running with it.

Mike..........
    This is something but not much.
    Is Bruce working on anti-gravity devices at area 51 (or 52) and not getting weekends off? THAT busy that HE can't post a 100 word update here? This does not instill confidence.......and I am an eternal optimist!

I forget, but it "seems like" all that you have posted has been posted before.. 1 thru 9.

Can you call me and talk awhile? Inquiring minds "want to be assured"......

PM sent with "the number".......

Hey guys sorry about the info, but that is all I have. kmcwhq I have been in bed with fever since yesterday at 3pm. I finally got to hurting so bad from just laying there, I thought I would sit in front of the pc a little while. I will try to contact you later.

Dirt, I am sorry it didn't work out for you, but I fully understand.

Mike

Page 1 of 11 123