584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sl-10 Turret Index concerns

Guy's/Gals,

We have a 2 yr old Sl-10 and are getting concerned about the turret indexing.
    Seems it is noisier , with like a clunking type noise, especially indexing CCW.
    Also seems like the turret is slightly out of location before seating, and exhibits a slight twist before seated.
    Some tool locations seem better with less of the twisting when seating then others.
    This is what bothers us. If it is out, then why are some positions better than others?
    The machine (Fingers crossed) has never been stuffed.
    Cutting Conditions are like they were since new.............Great size with very little taper, repeats close sizes, finish, etc.
    Is there a parameter or something to adjust the turret to its location before seating?
    If anyone can shed a bit of light we would appreciate it.
    We did call HFO and they told us the turret clamps against a sort of a wedge and it seemed normal to him for it to have a slight twist before seating.
    He stated we probably didn't notice it before:bs:
    Surely there must be something there to adjust this position, but he wouldn't give it up.
    He said it would involve a service call a minimum of 3 hrs and someone can tell me something.
    Please help if you can.

Paul

The turret is indexed by a servomotor with an encoder and the motor brings the turret into position using the encoder count so the locking wedges are aligned before it locks.

The drive between the motor and the turret is just clamp mechanism not a key and can slip under some conditions so the wedges do not align correctly.

I think the following is pretty much correct.

To adjust the alignment you have to take the top cover off while the turret is at position 1, go into DEBUG mode, loosen the clamp, bring the servo into correct alignment, tighten the clamp and away you go....Maybe.

Or do what I did, get the Haas technician in.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof,

I will have a look under that cover and see if it's something we can do.
    Thanks for the reply

Paul

A 2 year old haas lathe will do this. there is a pretty big window for the turret to clamp in the right spot. Until you have turret unclamp errors it should not be an issue. You can try balancing the weight of your tools on the turret which sometime helps some. You will never get it to clamp perfect due to play in the gearbox.

My turret would clunk. The die springs that push the turret out had all broken, and the two dogs would hit each other as it indexed. Easy fix. I just bought the springs from the service guy and changed it one Saturday. Took maybe tree hours with the drive to the service guys house. Not sure if that is what you have going, just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Thanks Guy's.

We will be digging in shortly............