585,902 active members*
4,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Dimensions leader in fractions by default? system options does not seem to do it.

Dimensions leader in fractions by default? system options does not seem to do it.

When I pull dimensions if the size is an odd size it defaults to a decimal. With each dimension I have to manually overide it to make it back to a fraction rounded 1/16 in over ride.

Looked all over the options still have not found a way to make it so it allways rounds and makes a fraction. Sorry checked everywhere. Does anyone know a way to force it to only dimension in fractions. Thanks. I did set units in systems options as fractions and rounded, custom and dual same.

Open a blank part document (this works the same for assembly and drawing documents as well). Make all your changes in system / document options. Now save that blank file as a .prtdot (part template) in the directory it prompts you to. Save it with a file name that will make sense, like 'Fractions'. When you want to make a part/assy/drawing in fractions, just open that one up when starting with a blank file.

I'm going from memory here, but this oughta get you close atleast. People find this especially usefull when going from english to metric often. Or, I use to do modeling for another business and I have two different drawing templates; One with my business name and one with the other business name...both have the appropriate title blocks allready done.

There's a trick here. SW used to make it very obvious but in later versions it's more 'obscure'. If you go to tools/options/ and then the 'Document Properties" tab. Select "units" on left side. In there you can select the lowest fraction Demoninator you want to use. Over to the right of that there is a "More" Column. If you click there it will give you a couple options. One is the rounding feature you are seeking.

Save and your done. Also as was mentioned it's helpful to create your own templates for drawings as well as models.

This is all for SW08 btw [I've gotta load 09 one of these days now that Sp2.0 is out]

Hth

J
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)