585,981 active members*
4,379 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with a decision...

So I've been looking at a used Manford MCV-1100 Vertical Machine Center. I just have a hobby machine shop at the moment and this would obviously catapult it into overdrive, but I might be able to pick it up fairly cheap. What I would like to know is if any hobbiest has taken the plunge into a big machine such as this and how difficult was the move and setup. I have a cnc mill and a southbend lathe, but this machine is obviously makes those look like paperweights, and really don't know if I am going to drown in a mountain of expenses and back breaking work to get it to my shop, about 300 miles, and get it setup? It would come with lots of tooling and such, What I guess I want to know is if anybody has the experience with such a decision to tell me that I would be crazy to even consider this for a very enthusiastic hobbiest?

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated,...Chris.

Well if you want it, and can afford it, wouldn't it be worth it? I mean if its cheap, you have room and your willing to drive the 300 miles... why not?

Quote Originally Posted by bobhaha View Post
    Well if you want it, and can afford it, wouldn't it be worth it? I mean if its cheap, you have room and your willing to drive the 300 miles... why not?
    I am stalling a little bit because while it is cheap for what the machine is, it is a lot of money for me... I would be the proud owner of a fantastic machine, but would not be able to afford to turn it on for a couple of months after it arrived:violin:

Have you considered the power requirements for such a machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Medm View Post
    Have you considered the power requirements for such a machine?
    Yes I have, and I am working on what my options are. The spec is 20KVA for this machine. Not sure if I can get over this hurdle...

many machines run at lower than spec. If you go into production mode with high chip loads, sure, it will use all the power stated, but hobbyists seldom do. What is important is the new improved work envelope