584,817 active members*
4,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: USB to RS232

USB to RS232

Hi Everyone,
    I am thinking about using a Laptop to load programs to my machine.
    Has anyone used a USB To Parallel Adapter to load programs.
    This is what I have found but I don’t know if the wiring inside would be correct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...76555&CatId=76

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Erich

give calmotion a call they sell a little black box that hooks to the rs232 port it is preset to the machine you just put your program on the usb stick shove it in type cd,10 then enter then type dnc,file name .dnc enter it is that simple you can run a program as large as the usb stick they get like 550.00 dollars for the kit and they are worth it

thanks donnelson

That goes to a serial port indeed but is the pinout correct? You can DNC from your laptop of PC using the serial port in the back as well.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

The problem is that the laptop has a 15pin port not a 9 pin.
    there is also a 25 pin port could we use that?

Thanks
    Erich

You should be fine with a USB to RS232 adapter. Worst case you should only have to make a patch cable to get the pinout right. I'm not sure about the example you show, I've used a USB to DB9 before and that worked. For $20.00 just order it and try it.

HTH,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by donl517 View Post
    You should be fine with a USB to RS232 adapter. Worst case you should only have to make a patch cable to get the pinout right. I'm not sure about the example you show, I've used a USB to DB9 before and that worked. For $20.00 just order it and try it.

HTH,
    Don
    thanks,
    If the pin output is wrong would it do damage to the machine or computer?

Quote Originally Posted by FUN4ME View Post
    thanks,
    If the pin output is wrong would it do damage to the machine or computer?
    I've never had any, or heard of any, damage to either one as a result of the pinout being wrong. It just won't communicate.

HTH,
    Don

I had to make one for my cnc lathe some time ago. and it worked out fine. when you got the wiring wrong it want damage any thing and it want work iether. LOL.
    just check the data sheets from the connectors of the serial port and the port on the machine ad cross the send and recieve pin on it. because the datasheet tells you what which pin in the connector does. when you connect the recieve(Pc) to the recieve(machine) they will be both waiting for data to recieve which will never be send on that line.
    the other thing that is inportant is that you check for the correct baud rate. both machine and pc must be set to the same speed.

make shore your usb to rs232 adaptor give the signal at the right voltage because their are to versions on the marked. the one that has an output of 10v will always work and the one with the 5v out put don't work on all the macines and will cause errors and bad or no transmission of data at all