585,581 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma Cutter Fume Control

I have a CNC plasma cutter very near completion and I am searching for a way to reduce the fumes and dust a plasma cutter generates. This is going to be used industrially on a warehouse mezzanine. I was looking at a unit like this....

http://www.sentryair.com/specs/Air-C...pec-300-MS.htm

Sentry Air said this should work great as far as removing plasma cutter fumes, but I am not convinced this will do anything about the dust. The table has a 4' x 6' cutting area and this unit would be mounted to a shroud about 3 feet above the table. Is it just a fact of life that my warehouse will be covered in black dust now or should this do the trick? Also, its not exactly cheap at $1600. Its worth it to me if it prevents dust from getting everywhere, but is there a better option out there within $1600? Thanks

I have a water table where I have the water half inch below the material.Cuts down on dust big time compared to having nothing.Plus helps keep the material a little cooler with water splashing around.It does not take care of the problem completly,still have to deal with that nasty brown cloud and I still wear a respirator when I am cutting with a big fan by the garage door.Tough in the winter though,loose alot of heat in the shop and it can get very cold where I live 9000 feet above sea level.I am in the process of building a hood over my table with a fan to draw smoke to the outside air,hoping this will help big time.You could also have a downdraft system which I heard has great results when properly done,but the problem exist where you are drawing out the heat out of your shop in the cold weather.I also have heard of people running there water tables where the water covers the material with about an 1/8 inch of water on top with good results.Helps keep the material from warping and also keeps it cools to the touch so you can remove piece from table right away without gloves.In my opinoin I like having a water table.I think it is nice to be able to grab a piece right off the table without it being so hot.I suggest if you need some type of fume extraction why not build it yourself it is not rocket science.

I have a down draft with my table, it would probably do a better job if it had a larger fan/motor on it, but i just used a old furnace fan/motor that was laying around here. Knowing then what i know now i would have built a true water table at the begining and i was going to convert this one over, but instead i ran a 3/8 clear plastic water line over and have it attached to the side of the torch, it sprays around the torch and together with the down draft makes a huge difference dust,smoke,fume wise, plus it help keep the metal from warping, i have a floor drain nearbye that the water just runs out of the airhandler box to. It was cheap and easy to do and made the world of difference in here, by the way my plasma is set up in my attached garage, if any fumes or dust were getting into the house my wife would shut me down in a heart beat, but so far so good.

EDD

I just built a water table for mine, had an exhaust system before,what a difference, was cutting 5/8 plate on Saturday and the only smoke was the steam, my nose is much happier.
    Chip Coale

My last update on my plasma table has been to convert to a water table. I run the water just touching the bottom of the metal and have virtually no dust or smoke. I welded up a tank that sets under the table and connects the pan under the cutting slats. The pan is 4 inches deep and contain the slats. I raise the water using regulated air to the tank. It's very controlable. The pipe that connects the pan to the tank reaches almost to the bottom of the tank. Another fitting in the top is connected to a "Tee" fitting with a valve on each side of the Tee. One side is connected to the air supply, the other to open air. By closing the open air valve and opening the pressure side the water level can be raised or lowered. On mine I made the tank large enough to fill the pan, or drain it completly down to reduce evaporation loss as well as humidity in the shop.
    One tip I got from this forum is to use a little soda ash, 3 cups or so(available from pool suppliers) to keep the water from getting stagnant. Tank holds about 100 gallons of water. Works great
    never set a pace that you can't maintain
    Traveler

Thanks for your input all. I am open to a water table, but am a bit lost as to how to go about constructing it. The machine frame is made of 80mm 8020 aluminum extrusions. The machine (and mezzanine) is far more complete now with a slatted table, but here is a picture of it from a few months ago. I am not much of a welder, but I could have someone fabricate something for me I suppose. Traveler, I love your idea of a drainable table. I think I follow you, but if you could send me some pics, I would be grateful. My initial concern with a water table was what would happen to my expensive electronics if it ever started leaking, but with a drainable table, that wouldn't even be a concern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plasma1.jpg  

traveler,
    if you could post pics of your table (or email [email protected]) that would be a big help. i like the idea of being able to drain the water to prevent smell and humidity in the shop.

thanks
    baker

Arrow Water Table Pictures

Click HERE to take you to pictures & a drawing of my water table. (Posts #161 &166)

A similar method could be used to allow a water tray to hang inside the aluminum rails of your table, as mine does.
    The drawing shows that the tray is separate from the tubes. It sits inside of, & hangs from the 2" square steel side tubes.

A valve is attached to the tray for drainage when necessary.

About 1 cup of washing (laundry) soda is used to control rust & odour in 40 gallons of water.

My water table is under my slats... not the best design but I added it after some cutting experience. It drains from the center into 5 gallon containers via a hose with a valve on the end. Not a production setup but it works for me. If I ever rework it I would raise the water table up 2" and put the slats inside of the water table. I "hang" the water table with some brackets that fit over the 80/20 and under the water table...

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H2OTable.jpg