584,826 active members*
5,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Anaheim Automation super high torque steppers

Anaheim Automation super high torque steppers

Hello all,

I've hung around here for a couple of years and today I finally hit a jackpot in my parts search. Well at least I hope I did-they cost me nothing. What I'm curious to know is, are these motors useful?, has anyone used them before with success?, etc.

I'm just looking for a little feedback on your experiences or knowledge. My goal is to use them for a cnc router table. My guess is with over 1500 oz-in of torque and 1500 rpm rating at my disposal I shouldn't have to worry too much. I won't be moving a large and heavy gantry with a huge spindle. Something more along the lines of a heavier duty router with 1/2" shaft for now. You can get the idea from there. The motors , three of them, are the following: 34K214S-CB8. Go here for a look and more:

http://www.anaheimautomation.com/34K...er_Motors.aspx

They look darn beefy from the specs. Plus there's a planetary reduction gear box and right angle gear box on two of them. They are used but look brand new too. I searched these threads but came up empty handed so far. Lots on the 34K series -that's because it's the NEMA 34 frame.

I'm thinking on keeping these and starting my project from here. What do you think??

Cheers!!

Eric

I think those are really terrible and you should just send them to me. Ok, just kidding.

Those are very similar to what I have been looking for. I had actually been looking for a higher inductance / lower current version as I am planning to use the linistepper driver and it is better for high inductance motors.

The motor you reference is designed for chopper style drivers like geckos, etc - at least I think that is the right inductance range - check the spec sheets.

If you decide to hate them, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post

If you decide to hate them, let me know.
    Harryn, I don't think I'll be hating them anytime soon - especially for the price

Now I'm trying to figure out the amount of weight a motor like this would be comfortable in moving (think gantry/router weight). Gecko drives are what I was leaning towards using anyway so that it good to hear. The power supply I have covered too. Now I have more research to do to figure out if I can make this a belt drive system for added speed or just stay with a lead screw setup.

Thank's for the reply!

I don't claim any expertise at all, but I found one reference in the past about the value of having about 80 lbs of holding force while cutting. This sort of makes sense if you compare what you are doing with the cnc vs hand holding a router.

It is interesting to try some hand held experiments - you find out fast that 5 - 6 IPS are pretty normal speeds for hand work with a decent 1/2 in chuck router and carbide bits. It was not until about 2 X that when the router started to complain. (plywood cutting) Too slow and it just burns the wood.

The decision to use one drive method vs another is an interesting one - probably not any "one" correct answer for which is better for a router. When I ran the math, cost seemed pretty close for similar accuracy. This was not obvious at first.

I am trying to use just "one" method in my attempt at a build, but even then, the X + Y look like they will be recirculating belt drive (to keep the motor weight off of the moving parts) and the Z might end up R/P ( due to space constraints.)

With those motors and a built in gear drive, you can likely do anything you want without additional gearing down.

Re: Anaheim Automation super high torque steppers

The super high torque steppers from Anaheim Automation are professionally designed to be a highly efficient tool for those that require the power and precision of a step motor. Anaheim Automation's super high torque steppers are ideal for applications that require a constant velocity, high speed drive and minimal backlash. Anaheim Automation's super high torque steppers give you more control over jackpotworth.com tool speeds and braking for added production capability, better performance, and reduced downtime.

Re: Anaheim Automation super high torque steppers

Quote Originally Posted by Hoeni View Post
    The super high torque steppers from Anaheim Automation are professionally designed to be a highly efficient tool for those that require the power and precision of a step motor. Anaheim Automation's super high torque steppers are ideal for applications that require a constant velocity, high speed drive and minimal backlash. Anaheim Automation's super high torque steppers give you more control over jackpotworth.com tool speeds and braking for added production capability, better performance, and reduced downtime.
    I totally agree with you