585,749 active members*
3,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > DC DRIVE UPGRADES for SHOPTASK/SHOPMASTER
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloy2004 View Post
    Hi there!

I did a search for that drive model and can't get any results.
    Just checking if the numbers were posted correctly.

I went to several minarik drive dealers and none list that model.
    That drive is apparently discontinued. It is available though for $69 plus $27 for heat sink from:

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UI...tname=electric

CR.

Just had to post something here after my reply to the whiner. In the past 2 years, I have bought a used Quadra lift machine, totally dis assembled it, lapped the ways, re-ground the gib strips, put it back togather and earned enough with it to buy a new Patriot. After selling my Quadra lift and buying the Patriot I am still money ahead. I did the DC drive conversion, but am now looking at the VFD drives, which are supposed to offer better broad range power. CNC is also on my plate.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter90 View Post
    Crevice,
    The manufacturer is Argord corp. out of Toronto. Model P140B
    Update- they are out of business- probably a victim of the slowdown in the fitness business. Also, be careful on the Minarik controller- it has settings for 90 and 180 volts. These motors are rated at 130 volts, so if you use the 180 volt setting and put too much torque compensation in, it will over volt the motor with resulting smoke.

Just had to post something here after my reply to the whiner. In the past 2 years, I have bought a used Quadra lift machine, totally dis assembled it, lapped the ways, re-ground the gib strips, put it back togather and earned enough with it to buy a new Patriot. After selling my Quadra lift and buying the Patriot I am still money ahead. I did the DC drive conversion, but am now looking at the VFD drives, which are supposed to offer better broad range power. CNC is also on my plate.
    I have a Quadra Lift that I bought used. I have used the heck out of it and made some money as well. I am thinking of going with that 3995.00 special with CNC and DRO. In the meantime, here are acouple of pictures of my VFD drive and tachometer.. I found a Goldstar brand VFD and 2 chinese 3 phase motors. The motors were identical in size to my original 110 volt motors, except they have no capacitors. The Goldstar has a control panel on the front, plus a remote panel that has a ribbon cable plug in. Its a 220 input with 380 three phase output. The motors are 1 hp and 1750 rpm. Using some pulleys I had laying around, I am now getting 0-1400 on mill and 0-1300 on lathe. The mill could use a bit more rpm, but the lathe is pretty much all I need. Torque is good all the way down to about 100 rpm, then it drops off some. I also mounted a tachometer that I got from JT. Its a prototype with a button to select either lathe or mill. It uses optical sensors and is accurate to about 3-4 rpm and holds real steady.
    I figured out the VFD drive, but have been unable to find an online manual- its a Goldstar Model GS100L-0015- it may be obsolete, as Goldstar is now LS industries. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it- It has some programmable functions I have not been able to decipher and also I think it has dynamic braking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TACH 3.jpg   TACH 4.jpg   TACH 5.jpg   VFD GOLDSTAR 1.jpg  

VFD GOLDSTAR 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fastlanecafe View Post
    I have a Quadra Lift that I bought used. I have used the heck out of it and made some money as well. I am thinking of going with that 3995.00 special with CNC and DRO. In the meantime, here are acouple of pictures of my VFD drive and tachometer.. I found a Goldstar brand VFD and 2 chinese 3 phase motors. The motors were identical in size to my original 110 volt motors, except they have no capacitors. The Goldstar has a control panel on the front, plus a remote panel that has a ribbon cable plug in. Its a 220 input with 380 three phase output. The motors are 1 hp and 1750 rpm. Using some pulleys I had laying around, I am now getting 0-1400 on mill and 0-1300 on lathe. The mill could use a bit more rpm, but the lathe is pretty much all I need. Torque is good all the way down to about 100 rpm, then it drops off some. I also mounted a tachometer that I got from JT. Its a prototype with a button to select either lathe or mill. It uses optical sensors and is accurate to about 3-4 rpm and holds real steady.
    I figured out the VFD drive, but have been unable to find an online manual- its a Goldstar Model GS100L-0015- it may be obsolete, as Goldstar is now LS industries. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it- It has some programmable functions I have not been able to decipher and also I think it has dynamic braking.
    I found a similar manual, but still hoping to get the original.
    Thanks

Got every thing put together this morning and tested the motors and controllers. I left about 12" of wire from my front panel controls to the controllers, but found it was not real convenient for the adjustments. There just wasn't enough cable length to set the front panel down and do the adjustments on the controllers. If you leave 18" of cable, you can clamp the front panel to the mill cover and run the potentiometers with one hand and adjust the controller with the other. The motors are rated at 130 volts and the controllers have a selector for 90 or 180 volts. I chose the 180 setting. Be careful with the max speed, torque and IR adjustments, because if the motor gets full 180 voltage it will really spin and get hot. My fan arrangement worked good,as I left the fans running after adjusting everything and they cooled the motors down in a couple minutes. It sure is nice to just twist that knob and adjust the speeds. Speaking of that, I also screwed up on the hole locations for my knobs. The hole for the AC on off toggle was too close to the bottom, leaving only about 1/2" from the contacts to the bottom of the case. The 2 potentiometers should have been spaced wider also, as the large knobs I bought for them were too close together. I took my hot glue gun and covered all the terminals to be sure there was no chance of a short. Later today or tomorrow i'm going to do some cuts to test the motor torque at low speeds.
    Just an update on this system. I spoke to JT about getting one and he told me that the motor sources have dried up. Previously there was a lot of low cost motors available from the treadmill industry. However, the economy has cut into the entire home/health business and several of the motor manufacturers have gone out of business. JT is now working on a 3 phase VFD conversion.

Fan controllers

Are you using a thermostat to turn the fans off and on or are you using a time delay after the machine is shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
    Are you using a thermostat to turn the fans off and on or are you using a time delay after the machine is shut off.
    I just have a toggle switch that controls the AC power to the control board- the fans are wired to this switch so whenever you turn on power-they run. On the DC side, the power goes through the original push button switches so you can reverse or shut the motor down and leave the fans running. The fans are fairly quiet and a couple of times I have forgotten to turn off the AC power.

Fans

Those little muffin fans seem to run for years in a computer. They should last forever shutting them down when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlanecafe View Post
    I have one of the tach units from JT for my machine. I am still liking the VFD idea, but sort of hesitating because my DC is working fine and I still can't justify making the change for any reason besides the need to fiddle with it. I found some 3 phase motors at Surplus Center for 89.00 each- they are 1150 rpm. I can get a new VFD from TECO for 120.00, so the whole cost for all new stuff is about 300.00. My plan is to use the original pulleys from the machine with one ratio set for speeds from 1150- 3000 and the other for low speeds from 0-1150. The motor pulleys and machine pulleys have the proper ratios so that it would just be a matter of rolling the belts from one spot to another with no adjustment mechanism required.

I have one of the tach units from JT for my machine. I am still liking the VFD idea, but sort of hesitating because my DC is working fine and I still can't justify making the change for any reason besides the need to fiddle with it. I found some 3 phase motors at Surplus Center for 89.00 each- they are 1150 rpm. I can get a new VFD from TECO for 120.00, so the whole cost for all new stuff is about 300.00. My plan is to use the original pulleys from the machine with one ratio set for speeds from 1150- 3000 and the other for low speeds from 0-1150. The motor pulleys and machine pulleys have the proper ratios so that it would just be a matter of rolling the belts from one spot to another with no adjustment mechanism required.
    Well- decide to go ahead and order the VFD- they have on which can be hooked to a PC and you can control all the functions from there-

Sharp,
    Have you gone to the AC VFD drives yet? If so, what are you doing with the DC system? PM me n14ky(at)aol(dot)com if you want to sell them.

David

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Sharp,
    Have you gone to the AC VFD drives yet? If so, what are you doing with the DC system? PM me n14ky(at)aol(dot)com if you want to sell them.

David
    Sorry for the late reply- been on another assignment. Actually I am saving the DC stuff for another project-

Page 2 of 2 12