585,894 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torque or Horsepower chart for spline

I am working on a spline shaft, I can calculate the shear of the rod, and dynamic disturbances, but I am thinking that it is best to go with industry on this one. so if anyone has a chart that gives the typical torque and HP rating for a spline given diameter and pitch and wouldn’t mind posting it I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you

Too many variables involved, you have to consider the minor diameter of the spline plus the root of the spline then involve the alloy and condition of the base material of the shaft ! also the free play and oscillations or power pulses applied to the mating of the splines ! That is why it is imperative to grease frequently as the grease literally gets vaporized from the constant impacting of the faces of the splines and then it goes dry and self destructs !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Cruiser, you are correct in mentioning that there are allot of variables and a properly designed chart will account for most of them.

I am looking for industry standard, of which you will find common pitches and pressure angles, a typically heat treated shaft, and a common engagement area.

for instance: a spline of 2-1/8" SAE 16 tooth standard on a typically hardened shaft will run at 132 Hp, and 23,910 inch lbs. continuously

I wish I could remember where I saw the chart. Probably some standards book that I cant place right now.

Also something I didn’t mention earlier was I am most interested in a type B fit, although it probably wouldn’t matter.

I appreciate the help. also if I find one I will post it here.

I found the chart! it is in the machinery's handbook #27 page. 2170
    I dont know what the copyright rules are but I plan on redrawing the graph and perhaps adding some stuff to and then post it. unless a moderator says its ok to post a scan of the graph.

here is the chart. it is in PDF format.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very nice compilation. Did you compile this from the machinery handbook?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

yes I did, it is not complete though. I have omited most of the references to keyed shafts. and although I omited it in the chart, it is concerning involute splines not SAE splines