584,817 active members*
4,686 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Programming Question

Programming Question

Ok I consider myself a decent programmer on the Hurco control. I just ran into something that has been there but I don't know how to use it. Maybe some of you guys know how to use it. Under mill contour, lines and arcs there is a softkey for 3D arcs. I have never really paid attention to that but was just trying to figure out if it will help me in anyway. Maybe Jetski can help?

Thanks Bernie

You can use 3D arcs to program in the X and Z and then translate through the Y or even around a fixed center. It's pretty handy sometimes. Alternately, if you use DXF you can make a side view DXF and when you pick it up call it out as a 3D option and it will insert the points for you. I'm not sure how good my explanation is but the short answer is that when you use 3D arcs you program the Z as if it were the Y. Hope it helps!

You mean the G8, and G9 Concave, Convex cavity cutting cycles? Sure is a lot easier then trying to play around with "Planar Chains" in Cam.

Nick, We have the 3d software does it do the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
    Nick, We have the 3d software does it do the same thing?
    If you mean some thing like MasterCam yes it does do the same thing but there are a few setup things you have to do when you are modeling the part and then it is a "Crap Shoot" if the post processor is going to output it properly.

Much easier just to use a "Point Tool Path" along the axis needed and then edit the G code to include the G8 or G9 cycles

Not so sure about the G-code side of things. I use a CAM program when necessary, but 3D arcs if its an easy profile. I find that the more I stay in conversational the faster I can go. And with a DXF you also have the reliability of the computer inputting tangent points. If the part is a multi-faceted 3-dimensional contour then by all means CAM it, but if all your doing is doming the top of a part or putting a contoured channel in a conversational part then it may benefit you to use the 3D option. Again, hope this helps.

Ok No I wasn't talking about a CAM package, but the 3D software that is on the machine. It is a conversional 3D milling package that Hurco sells on their machines. I will do some pretty cool stuff but I was just wondering if it is the same as what is in Lines and Arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
    Ok No I wasn't talking about a CAM package, but the 3D software that is on the machine. It is a conversional 3D milling package that Hurco sells on their machines. I will do some pretty cool stuff but I was just wondering if it is the same as what is in Lines and Arcs.
    Should all be in your programming manual

Which Hurco Control package are you using? My mill came with the Dynapath 50 and they use a G8/G9 code for Convex/concave radius.

We are using the Ultimax software. I have looked at the manual but I am still having a hard time getting it throught my think skull...lol. It n-might be the same as what the 3D software package will do but I don't really know and was just wondering if anyone had used it before.

Alright back to my hole....thanks.

Sorry I haven't been on the site for a while. I dont think I have used this one but I will look into it in the morning. Thanks for the confidence bernie
    Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"

The 3D arc has noting to do with the 3d software addition. It is used for quick programming of contours that travel in Z. In other words, create an arc in Z.
    Personally I use it al the time, it is handy to have but does by no means replace the additional 3D Software add-on.

Ok I got over and messed with it. I dont see a practical side to it for what I do, but I am sure there are some aplications for it. You could cut a 1/2 pipe with it if you do not have the 3D software. Or partial arcs or radii. I will play with it more, and maybe even work on the Hurco a little too. Sorry for the sick humor, just trying to get through Monday my friends. Looks like a work around for a G18 or G19 to conversational?

New here

Hallo my name is Gradus and I like to join
    all is new for me so give me time to laern

thank you

Gradus

You are very limited as to what 3d features you can do with Ultimax. You are better off writing g-code and programming in an offline CAM package.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER66 View Post
    You are very limited as to what 3d features you can do with Ultimax. You are better off writing g-code and programming in an offline CAM package.
    The Conversational side of the Hurco was never meant for real 3D, That is where the software comes in! But the 3D arc comes in handy at times. Especially If it is used with Mirror image and pattern Loop Linear.

shhh their sales men aren't allowed to know that.

Dont tell their sales guys that. Hurco 3D is draw in 2D then pick one of 3, swing it like a jump rope, spin it like a merry-go-round, or extrude it like a gutter. Welcome to 3D. Now make a cavity for a golf ball. Mirrors break, smoke clears, and the wizzard runs from behind the curtain. With that said I bought a Hurco for the conversational controls superior to all else I have used. I can do the tough mold programming while my guy on the floor starts to put pockets in the base, bolt holes, tap plates, and cut support piller clearance. I would put several more in my shop as I can. I would love to put in a lathe. Our business grew 25% each of the last 2 years. We have been in business 5 years now. ISO certified. And we still have fun anyway. Well back to work.