585,764 active members*
4,621 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 2 safe limits ?

can you set the safe limits in Mach 2 to keep from over travel on machines without limit switches.....or is this for something else...I read the manual but it does no go that deep into it......... :cheers:

Mach2 has a soft, (software only) limit option. I tried it but it doesn't work that well unless your machine starts from the same position every time. Or you reset the soft limit values each time. It depends on where your toolpath starts.

Buy some switches and wire. Much better and safer.

Regards Terry.....

I was thinking you could set the table in the middle and call this X 0 Y 0 and bring the Z up to a safe distance and call it Z 0.....then set your soft limits around .200 or so from over travel in each direction....Then use G54 and G43 in all your programs.....would this work or am I missing something

I posted this in Mach2 yahoo group...and Art said this would work.

Try it........... :cheers:

Yes, the theory is good, but in practice I had to keep altering settings when cutting different height materials. Also with no home switches the X/Y =0 position is not repeatable. You have to guess the table centre. No good if you're using jig fixtures. If it's working for you, great.
    I still have no home/limit switches, but I do plan on adding them. I also stopped using the softlimits. I visually place the cutter where I want to start. Then reference all axis home before starting the program run. I've had no problems with overtravel YET, but I would like a repeatable reference position.

Regards Terry.....
    http://www.terry-is.f2s.com/

I am waiting for my Mill to arrive.....just kinda thinking out loud right now...I will try some stuff when it comes.....Thanks

I am new with mach2, just bought it last night and I tried to set up soft switches and it really doesnt even read them, any suggestions?

Jon