585,722 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Google Sketchup and Alibre?

Hey There!

Newbie here. I am building a CNC machine to carve out an archtop guitar. 1948 D'Angelico New Yorker.

Here's the problem...

1) I scanned the blueprints and had them converted into huge PDF files.
    2) Downloaded a free PDF to JPG converter program.
    3) Pulled the JPG blueprint file into ProgeCAD and created topo splines.
    4) Exported from ProgeCAD to DXF file. (Guitar1)
    5) Imported the DXF splines into Google SketchUP
    6) Used SketchUP "Sandbox" to create the surface you see below.
    7) Beautiful surface. (Guitar2) Now what the heck do I do???

I am trying to pull the file into Alibre 3D CAD. Problem is it pulls the splines into a drawing and the 3D isn't active.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar1.JPG   Guitar2.jpg  

As far as I have tested you can not Import 3D Line Geometry into an Alibre Drawing to transfer into an Alibre Part File.

If you could make it a Solid Model You can Import, Iges, Step, 3dm and DWG.

Try posting this in the Alibre Forum under Using Alibre Design.

I really don't know if this can be done, but it might.

Ask these guys and good luck

http://alibre.com/forums/
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Surface files

You will need a surface file. Usually comes with *.3dm extension. The topo splines will not help you in a 2D dxf drawing.

topo splines

Anther thought crossed my mind: If you have topo splines that are closed and AD realizes them as such, then you should be able to define a distance to a reference plane (e.g. XY) with the dimension tool in 3D Sketch mode. The distance is obviously individual for each spline. You can then recreate the surface between all Splines with the Loft Boss tool.

I have not actually tried this, but I tought it might be a good idea.

Original poster here.

I exported the splines as a DXF and brought them into Alibre. Copied the individual splines and pasted them into the 3D part on separate planes.

Ok, now the problem. When I try to create a lofted boss from the several splines, I get a message about twisted faces or U / V error. I can create a boss between a couple of splines but no go on doing all splines at once.

I'm at my wits end. Trying to think of alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by kbeard View Post
    Original poster here.

I exported the splines as a DXF and brought them into Alibre. Copied the individual splines and pasted them into the 3D part on separate planes.

Ok, now the problem. When I try to create a lofted boss from the several splines, I get a message about twisted faces or U / V error. I can create a boss between a couple of splines but no go on doing all splines at once.

I'm at my wits end. Trying to think of alternatives.
    Can you post your 3D spline geometry here as a DXF? There might be a way but I would need the geometry to see if it will work.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Splines

To my mind you should be able to connect splines that are not in the same plane, that is at least the case in one of the tutorials. It does sound a kind of strange though since you have imported a 2D drawing.

The only thing you could check is whether the splines that do not connect are closed. Use the "analyze" function under "sketch".

If that does not work you can always post a thread in the alibre forum. You might find people there that are more competent than I am.

Attached Alibre File...

Original Poster...

I'm attaching the Alibre part file if anyone would like to help me figure out how to do the loft boss between the several splines.

Thanks for any help.

I'm almost finished with the design of my CNC machine. Hope it works!
    Attached Files Attached Files

UV

I got the same result.

Is it possible to import everything on the same plane and dimension the distance to the original X-Y plane?

It wants to work but fails. Have you posted this on the Alibre Forum??? I am sure an alibre tech will see this and jump on it right away. They are very good like that.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Kbeard,

Here is an older thread on alibre's site discussing guitar designing with Alibre.

This might give you some ideas.

Alibre
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com