584,833 active members*
5,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Model V8 engine plans required
Page 1 of 27 12311

Model V8 engine plans required

Can anyone help me purchase or obtain plans for a model V8 engine, this is for my own personal use in model boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bevan Gifkins View Post
    Can anyone help me purchase or obtain plans for a model V8 engine, this is for my own personal use in model boats.

Coles has the Challenger
    http://www.colespowermodels.com/engines.htm

There are plans on most of the Yahoo engine groups for the Amsbury and Whittle V8.

What size boat are you building? The Challenger is a 1/4 scale and would be a bit heavy.

I am currently making plans for a 5/8 bore and stroke V8 that is about 1/5 scale. The block is just short of 5 inches long. This way i can build it on my small mill and lathe. I will make the plans available but it wont be for a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

I tried the link to the Amsbury V8 I posted a year ago and it is dead.

As I have all 7 of the PDFs, I have posted them below and compressed the ones over 500k into one zipped file.

The system would not accept all seven files zipped together for some reason.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You might try searching Yahoo Groups. Some require that you join to recieve free plans.

I just recently purchased the Coles Challenger V8 castings and drawings and quickly realized that this is not want I want. I am not pleased with the location of the exhaust ports/manifold.

I've searched and found several sites with really great looking and performing motors including the Conley web site. The Conley Stinger 609 looks and performs well but has a 1 year lead time with a price tag of $5300.00 Conley only sells the engines as complete running motors and not in kit form. I want to build my motor!

I would like to purchase plans for a V8 made from billet aluminum so I can machine the parts and assembly it.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

That Amsbury V8 posted earlier can be made from billet aluminium. You just have to think about it for a while, because the original was made from brass plate soldered together.

Jones,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did look at the PDFs of the Amsbury V8 and felt that it would not fit well into my current project. I will look at the Amsbury V8 again.

I prefer the following style V8 (but without the blower)
    http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/
    http://www.weberprecision.com/
    http://www.replicaengines.com/products.html
    http://www.conleyprecision.com/609.htm

Thanks.

I have rang and ordered the plans for the Schillings V8 not an easy task as there english is not to good, bad actually. But looking forward to the plans.

Bevan,
    I found the link to where you can purchase the Schillings V8 plans.
    http://www.vth.de/shop/warenkorb/art...ash=8407db4a24

The site is in German, but I did email them about purchasing the plans. While searching the site, I also found a link to a book Hubert Schillings published in 2001
    http://www.vth.de/shop/warenkorb/art...ash=d6b2283613

From what I read, this book has lots of good information and pictures on model building.

A billet motor is the way to go i belive but you need to think about cooling, air cooling is the simplest form in a billet engine but watercooling is also possible if you have a bright mind

Adaware,
    If you know of anyone selling billet V8 plans, please forward that information. I've done an extensive search and email many of the builders (who’s links were posted earlier) but have had no response yet.

Sorry, don't know of anyone that sell such plans. I'm working on a billet v8 engine drawing myself but each time i fit a new component in the engine it's like opening a can of worms because of the scale and all the parts that needs to be there

Quote Originally Posted by Adaware View Post
    Sorry, don't know of anyone that sell such plans. I'm working on a billet v8 engine drawing myself but each time i fit a new component in the engine it's like opening a can of worms because of the scale and all the parts that needs to be there

Where are you at with the drawings?

I am working on the heads of a V8 project. The current design only allows a 8-32 sparkplug.

The block, crank, rods, pistons, camshaft are all done. I need to get the heads done before i move on to the intake manifold.

It will be 5/8 X 5/8 bore and stroke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG   untitled2.JPG  

My engine will be a giant compared to yours

What does 8-32 plug mean, 1/8" with 32 threads pr inch?
    I first wanted to use the CM-6 from NGK but now i have changed the plans to ME-8 or similiar plug because i couldn't find room for the valves, the idea is to make shure an off the shelve plug fits and then make them myself since they are so expensive.

I currently have a bore of 40mm and a stroke of 30mm so it's about 1:2.5. Have had many 3D models finished but i have redesigned the thing so many times they are not correct anymore so i need to redraw them.

Woah, that will make an engine of 301.584cc !!!

I want to make, in the distant future, a 4 or 6 cylinder inline engine of about 400cc-500cc capacity. Nothing flash; probably a pushrod operated, 2 valve per cylinder engine with dry sump and water cooling. I like to make engines which I can actually use for something, rather than just display models (though I enjoy the display ones as well, just not as much)

Why such a large bore to stroke ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by Adaware View Post
    My engine will be a giant compared to yours

What does 8-32 plug mean, 1/8" with 32 threads pr inch?
    I first wanted to use the CM-6 from NGK but now i have changed the plans to ME-8 or similiar plug because i couldn't find room for the valves, the idea is to make shure an off the shelve plug fits and then make them myself since they are so expensive.

I currently have a bore of 40mm and a stroke of 30mm so it's about 1:2.5. Have had many 3D models finished but i have redesigned the thing so many times they are not correct anymore so i need to redraw them.
    Your not from around here are you?

#8 thread has a major diameter of 4.16mm and 32 threads per inch. There are vendors at the model engine shows that have plugs that start at 10-32 but 1/4-32 is most popular. You are correct about the money. They are almost 20USD each and the 1/4's are 12USD

#10 = 4.82mm
    1/4 = 6.35mm

The picture below is a 1/4-32 next to a production NGK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0275.JPG  

The bore stroke ratio just came by it's own when i found out how big the combustion chamber would be. I plan to make a kind of racing style type engine so the short stroke is not so bad.

I'm from Norway so i'm not so familiar with the inch system as i am with the metric but i guess both systems works well as long as you know both

I will start my own forum thread of my engine project when i have more completed drawings and have the tooling to make the parts.

I have ordered the plans for the Schillings V8 motor from the web site in Germany and will post them on here when i recieve them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bevan Gifkins View Post
    I have ordered the plans for the Schillings V8 motor from the web site in Germany and will post them on here when i recieve them.
    Hey, that was a really nice engine and it's a DOHC

I just order my Schillings V8 engine plans and the Schillings book (published in 2001) from the German site on Friday. Expect they will be in within 2 weeks.

Page 1 of 27 12311