585,991 active members*
6,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Mill 5/8 Ball Screw conversion Question

Mini Mill 5/8 Ball Screw conversion Question

Converting my mini-mill to ball 5/8 ball screws. The Y axis is easy. I recall someone doing their X-axis and having to remove some material from the saddle and/or the underside of the table. I believe there were some pics posted somewhere but I cannot find them. Was wondering if someone had a pic or details showing the material removed to accomodate the X-axis ballnut. Tnx.

Here is my conversion thread- http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ght=micro+mark

I don't know how much I removed, but you just need to mill out the bottom of the bed until the assembly will clear.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    Here is my conversion thread- http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ght=micro+mark

I don't know how much I removed, but you just need to mill out the bottom of the bed until the assembly will clear.
    Looking at the saddle, a portion of it where the bronze nut is must be removed as well to allow clearance. Do you have a ballpark guess as to how much you removed under the table?

Saw your Ball screw & nut reference in the other post, are the preloaded ballnuts longer or larger? Did you use those or the std. ballnuts?

Your conversion looks nice, I'm using Ron Steeles plans and I'm just about finished. I wanted to conver the x/y to ball screws and add the brass gibs while I was there. Also want to add the limit switches. Thanks for the help.

Remember to mill the slots that you lock your ballnuts to squair, I beleve they have a slight angle on them so that when you tighten the leadnut down it eliminates some backlash, it causes the ballnuts to bind, for me at least it did, I think my ballnuts are rather shot because of running it like that, i have like .008 backlash in x and y.

Jon