584,860 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > RS232 Setting Problem win OSP-U100L???

Exclamation RS232 Setting Problem win OSP-U100L???

I am a complete newbie to CNC machines so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am actually an IT guy who some how got stuck fixing a CNC machine.

Basically from what I gather for my guys in the shop is some how the control's memory was completely wiped clean. The system was reloaded and our main CNC programer has since recreated the sending and receiving programs. When he tries to load a program on to the system from our Predator system we are getting an error.

Nothing has changed other than the system's memory being wiped so I am assuming that the RS232 cable and hub are ok. What i am not sure of is what the baud rate is on that control by default. I don't know if we were using the default settings and speed or if they were changed. I have looked through the maintenance manual and can't find anything referencing that port and our main CNC guy doesn't know where these settings are.

Can anyone point me in the right direction just so i can verify that the control and Predator system are both trying to communicate at the same speed?

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

that looks like the parameters i need but where are they configured. We have been through all of the User and Machine settings and haven't been able to find these parameters.

What make of controller is on the machine?
    Al.

Albert E.

it is an OKUMA OSP-U100L

OK I'm not thinking, some early Okuma's had Fanuc control.
    Al.

Albert E.

Fanuc Control?

I believe the BAUD RATE would be 4800, stop bits 7, parity even, can't remember what the other bit is but it's 2, and ours run no handshake...(XON/XOFF etc...)Had to reset this a few weeks ago ourselves...i can check Monday if you still need help...

Thanks. We found where the settings were and were able to make the necessary changes.

TCP IP Setings on Okuma U100L

Can someone please help me with where I can find the TCP IP settings page for an Okuma Macturn 30 with an U100L control.

just curious, what is production date of that monster? 2005 probabaly?
    Okuma Macturn 30 with an U100L control
    is Your control equipped with ethernet? Must be separate manual "additional functions" or something like.
    the Ethernet parameter page could be switched off. Use "search" to get a dialog which presents enabling of all possible settings views

Re: RS232 Setting Problem win OSP-U100L???

Quote Originally Posted by bfrawley View Post
    Thanks. We found where the settings were and were able to make the necessary changes.

Hi,
    Can u tel where to change the settings, in control panel.

Dinesh

It's in the parameter mode of your machine. Should be in Bits #1 and #12 and baud rate should be in word #39 for your main connector CN0:.

set #1 to 01001001
    set #1 to 01001111
    #39 to 9600 baud.

Backup or wait for 3 min.. Power down including breaker for 1.5 min.

Re-boot an try again. Settings are 9600, Even, 7 bits, 2 stop bits with XON/XOFF software handshaking. Others will work as well but not without parameter changes.

on the control end the wiring will require 4-5 jumpered and 6-8-20 jumpered together. This will allow communication using only 3 wires. TX RX and GND.
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Would anyone be able to explain what each bit is which settings? Trying to see what out machine is currently set to and also have which parameter bit is parity type, data bits, etc documented.

yep but you have to be more specific. Is OSP of your machine U100L ? Has it only one serial port? is it RS232 or paper tape reader? Has the DNT or DNC or whatever version of Okuma drip feed capacity?