584,798 active members*
4,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tramming head on X3

I've got a cnc X3 that I got running a month or so ago. It's been working pretty well but I still need to tram the head. I'm not sure how to do this. . .

I've got a couple dial indicators but nothing thats made to mount to the spindle. Would getting an indicator like that (not sure what they are called) be a worth while investement? I know more or less how to measure how out of whack the spindle is, but I don't know how to compensate for it. I've got some shim stock. Do I put shims in where the column meets the base / head to column depending on where the compensation is needed? My CNC fusion conversion requires an aluminum brace inbetween the two. . .

Thanks,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpydo View Post
    I've got a cnc X3 that I got running a month or so ago. It's been working pretty well but I still need to tram the head. I'm not sure how to do this. . .

I've got a couple dial indicators but nothing thats made to mount to the spindle. Would getting an indicator like that (not sure what they are called) be a worth while investement? I know more or less how to measure how out of whack the spindle is, but I don't know how to compensate for it. I've got some shim stock. Do I put shims in where the column meets the base / head to column depending on where the compensation is needed? My CNC fusion conversion requires an aluminum brace inbetween the two. . .

Thanks,
    Adam
    http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/x2...-tramHeadX.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McColley View Post
    google is sending a warning about accessing this site and eset nod32 is blocking it as contanning a trojan downloader i would advise not using this website as long as this matter is not settled
    eset smart security log:
    2009-02-10 14:30:50 HTTP filter file http://www.duwaynesplace.com/ HTML/TrojanDownloader.Agent.IJ trojan connection terminated - quarantined HPOFFICE\user Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Tramming the head on an X2 in the x direction, with its swiveling column doesn't sound very difficult. It's when their isn't a straight forward means to adjust the axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpydo View Post
    Tramming the head on an X2 in the x direction, with its swiveling column doesn't sound very difficult. It's when their isn't a straight forward means to adjust the axis.
    This is why SHIMS were invented.

CR.